• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple Errors on Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Emflea13

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I got clocked going 42 in a 20 (school zone) and I fully admit that I was speeding, however the officer put the wrong date on my ticket. She stated the issuing date was March 11 when it was March 15. March 11 is a Saturday which would make the 20mph speed limit null and void since school was not in session. Also, she put the road I was traveling on as SR 37 when in fact I was on SR 38. she also marked the area is "rural" when it was a "school" and so that would make the speed limit not 20 right? Also, she identified my sex as a male when I am clearly female. I know I can not fight the sex issue since it's irrelevant to the offense but how much of a chance do I have with the others to get this case dismissed?

seniorjudge

Emflea13 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I got clocked going 42 in a 20 (school zone) and I fully admit that I was speeding, however the officer put the wrong date on my ticket. She stated the issuing date was March 11 when it was March 15. March 11 is a Saturday which would make the 20mph speed limit null and void since school was not in session. Also, she put the road I was traveling on as SR 37 when in fact I was on SR 38. she also marked the area is "rural" when it was a "school" and so that would make the speed limit not 20 right? Also, she identified my sex as a male when I am clearly female. I know I can not fight the sex issue since it's irrelevant to the offense but how much of a chance do I have with the others to get this case dismissed?
These errors are pretty minor.

However, if you want to have a trial and bring them up, then give it a shot.

rlevy

Strong case

I think you have a good chance at dismissal if you deny you were speeding.

If you do not admit speeding, it seems to me that the cop can't show you were on SR 38 on that day doing 42 mph. It would be your word against hers, with no proof to back anything up. Judge may still believe the cop's word over yours, but the cop would have absolutely nothing to back it up, and her incompetence at writing the ticket may tick off the judge.

OR: you might just forget all the arguments above and just argue that on March 11 Saturday it was not illegal to do 42 there, but you would have to check the speed laws carefully on that day to be sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">