• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple Mistakes on Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AubrnGrl83

What is the name of your state? California

My ticket says appx. 80 in a 65. My problem is that there are a ton of mistakes on my ticket. The officer put the wrong insurance company, he put that I was the registered owner of the car with the wrong address of the registered owner. Are these things that the court will let the officer fix or can these mistakes help me show that he was just not observant? Thanks for your help.

N

NotACopOrLawyer

Plead not guilty

Everyone should plead not guilty, take their ticket to trial, every time !

Why? Because more than half the time the officers do not show up for the trial, and that requires an automatic dismissal. And, if they do show up, you can still give up, ask for traffic school, and get it.

So, plead not guilty, and go to trial.

NACOL

AubrnGrl83

I DO plan on pleading not guilty but was wondering about the ticket mistakes issue. And isn't it true that if you plead not guilty, and the officer shows and you are still found guilty that you cannot get traffic school?

But I have also heard that you can still request traffic school (and that they would prefer to do that because the courts make money when you go to traffic school).

N

NotACopOrLawyer

Traffic school after losing a trial is available but not guaranteed. It is "at the judge's discretion." Most judges give it, but some don't. By the time your trial comes up, you will know, from what the judge does with previous requests for TS by people whose cases were tried just before yours, whether he gives it after conviction. Or, if you have the time, you could go to the court now just to observe, and watch and see what he does.

But he cannot deny TS to everyone on a blanket basis. He has to consider each person's request for TS individually. Case law is People vs. Wozniak (same last name as founder of Apple).

If you see that the judge is a REAL hanging judge, you can always do a Peremptory Challenge, get yourself another judge.

You might want to read the TS Editorial on the Links page of highwayrobbery.net.

NACOL

mikeshoe

I just beat my ticket based on an error

In Washington
I just beat my ticket based on an error (The officer wrote RCW 46.61.231 which doesn't exist).

I consider this statement to be the most helpful one I found in deciding whether to fight based on ticket errors.

Will errors on the ticket result in the charges being dropped?
Courts will often excuse minor errors on a ticket. A misspelled name, incorrect address or difference in opinion on whether your car is aqua or green in color will not result in a dismissed ticket. Conversely, a major error such as citing the wrong statute, radically misidentifying your vehicle or listing the wrong highway as the site of the violation should provide justification to dismiss the ticket. However, it may be advantageous to say nothing about the errors until your trial. Let the officer use the ticket to describe the violation, location, and identification of your vehicle (they all do). After he or she has sufficiently buried him or herself with perjured testimony, you can document the errors and any legitimate court will dismiss the charges.

I hope you can use this to help make your decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">