• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MV summons/speeding ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

george29

Hello

I am in Connecticut, I received a MV summons, I am to appear in court tomorrow morning (so, please, all input is greatly appreciated).

Sort of a long story, I'll try to keep it brief:

Jan. 15, Friday - backed into my fiance's car upon leaving for work. silly mistake. Let her use my own vehicle for the week while I fixed hers - new headlights, hood, grille, nothing major.

Jan. 19, Tuesday - Fiance's car is fixed, though one headlamp is out. Didn't fix immediately, thought it would be ok.

Jan. 21, Thursday - driving her car to work, pulled over for speeding. Officer said I was doing 62, though the ticket says 63... (I drive a very old ford pickup with a 3 speed transmission, she drives a saab 93 - for what it's worth, I genuinely didn't know I was going that fast!) I was also charged with having one headlamp out - one from the junkyard I had put in on Tuesday night. Lastly, charged with having insurance CARD expired, though valid insurance was on the vehicle.

"Speeding >60 14-219(c)(2)
Failure to Carry insurance 14-13
failure to illuminate headlamp 14-96a(a)"

the handwriting isn't the best, sorry if those are slightly inaccurate.

Feb. 2, tomorrow, Tuesday, I'm to appear in court ...... and I don't know what to expect.

I drive at my job - not primarily, but enough that if the company's insurance drops me... the company I work for will probably drop me too.

So what might I expect to come of this? I don't care if I have to pay a fine - but I can't really have any points on my license, I don't think. This is a first time offense, I don't have a criminal record. Should I plead not guilty? I truly don't know what at all to do, or what the process is even going to be.

Thank you for reading.

[repost, posted in wrong forum]

Hello

I am in Connecticut, I received a MV summons, I am to appear in court tomorrow morning (so, please, all input is greatly appreciated).

Sort of a long story, I'll try to keep it brief:

Jan. 15, Friday - backed into my fiance's car upon leaving for work. silly mistake. Let her use my own vehicle for the week while I fixed hers - new headlights, hood, grille, nothing major.

Jan. 19, Tuesday - Fiance's car is fixed, though one headlamp is out. Didn't fix immediately, thought it would be ok.

Jan. 21, Thursday - driving her car to work, pulled over for speeding. Officer said I was doing 62, though the ticket says 63... (I drive a very old ford pickup with a 3 speed transmission, she drives a saab 93 - for what it's worth, I genuinely didn't know I was going that fast!) I was also charged with having one headlamp out - one from the junkyard I had put in on Tuesday night. Lastly, charged with having insurance CARD expired, though valid insurance was on the vehicle.

"Speeding >60 14-219(c)(2)
Failure to Carry insurance 14-13
failure to illuminate headlamp 14-96a(a)"

the handwriting isn't the best, sorry if those are slightly inaccurate.

Feb. 2, tomorrow, Tuesday, I'm to appear in court ...... and I don't know what to expect.

I drive at my job - not primarily, but enough that if the company's insurance drops me... the company I work for will probably drop me too.

So what might I expect to come of this? I don't care if I have to pay a fine - but I can't really have any points on my license, I don't think. This is a first time offense, I don't have a criminal record. Should I plead not guilty? I truly don't know what at all to do, or what the process is even going to be.

Thank you for reading.

[repost, posted in wrong forum]

So what might I expect to come of this?
We have no way of telling.

Don't be late!

If you were speeding plead guilty. ..pay the fine

Got the headlight fixed ..show proof that it was repaired, maybe they'll let you slide on that.

If valid insurance was on the vehicle why didn't' you have the insurance card?
Show the court that the car was insured on the day you got your speeding ticket, maybe they will let you slide on that too.
if it was not insured... hope for the best...

..___________________________
~ It is said that necessity was the mother of all inventions.
Personally i find poverty to be more inspiring. ~ drr

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It was brilliant to wait until the night before your court appearance to ask for help.

It sounds like these were infraction tickets. If you were looking to avoid points you should have mailed them in with your guilty plea. In those cases CT does not assess points - they just want the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">