• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My adult son got in a hit and run in my vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kari1460

:mad:My 20 yr old son and his 20yr old girlfriend made several copies of keys to a truck I don't drive and dont have it insured because I dont drive it I wanted to sell it. They were involved in a hit and run with some minor injuries a back problem for one victim. The police came to my house and towed my truck and wont give it back because it was involved in a crime. The multnomah Officer told me because my son had a key I can't report it as stolen and with the truck being in my name I will be sued and have liens put against my house. My son has been staying with me for about 3 weeks but who knows how long they have been coming and taking the truck. They bought a battery for it. Can I be held liable for this?

Maestro64

Remember cars are insured not drivers, since the vehicle is register in your name you will be responsible for all damages caused by the vehicle.

Also it is hard to claim it was stolen after the fact, I am not sure them having a key make a whole lot of difference. Now if you call and said it was stolen before they returned then you might have leg to stand on. To late for that.

It is time to get a lawyer otherwise you could be looking at other charges.

kari1460

I know I m a screwed. As far as I knew the truck didn't run, I never put a battery in it. I plan on suing my son and his girlfriend but that wont do me any good if I lose my house. They have no money they are drug addicts.

kari1460

I am not an idiot, nor am I stupid. People on drugs will do anything they have to to get their drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">