• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My first speeding ticket******************************************

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BoyBs

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I recieved a ticket from the state of Maryland.

One weekend, I was driving from New Jersey and heading home to Virginia. It was a Sunday night and I decided to take Hwy 13 to Hwy 301. This is basically Maryland's eastern shore. Well, while on 301 which is a 40 mile stretch, the speed limit was 55 mph. The police officer said he clocked me at 87 mph in same directional radar. He was driving in the same direction as me and was probably 1/4 of a mile in front of me if not less. He said he was driving, i think 60-65 mph and he saw me in his rear view mirror approaching fast. So he upped his speed to 70-75 and I was still gaining on his tail. There weren't many cars on the road. He ended up slowing down to the point where he was soon behind me and pulled me over.

This honestly is the first ticket that I have ever received. He didn't approach my car the first time on my side of the vehicle. He approached the passenger side of the vehicle and said do you know how fast you were going? I dont remember what I said. I was in shock because I am usually a "grandma" driver as my friends and family would call it. I don't like to speed and my parents were in the back seat of the car. And if I were to go over the speed limit my mom would be nagging me so basically, I generally do not speed. My mom was talking and said that she was watching my speed and did not notice me going 87 mph. He left and soon approached me on my side.

He said to me that I could either pay the ticket or drive up to Maryland and go to court. He even suggested that I go to court even though it is a drive because I have a good clean record with no outstanding tickets, but this one. On the citation, he put that I was going 85 mph in a 55mph zone. He said that since my driving record is good that the judge may reduce the speeding violation, points. I may walk away without having to pay or have no points on my record.

Basically, I want to plea not guilty because I dont feel I was going that limit. Do you think the judge will drop the charges? Or is that wishful thinking? What can I do to ensure it wont get on my record? What does no contest mean? What if I plea no contest? Or should I just plea guilty? Do I need to get a lawyer? Sorry this post is so lengthy, but I wanted to give you the full details of my account. Thank you.What is the name of your state?

lwpat

Anything above a 75 in a 55 will mean six points on your VA license and a major insurance increase. Probably worth paying an attorney.

seniorjudge

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat. (Smokers...pot or tobacco...literally stink. Remember that before you head for court.)

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and that the ticket not go on your record, if applicable. Ask also about getting a hardship driving permit, if applicable. Ask about drug court, if applicable.

From marbol:

“Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room.

If you have a ‘vibrate’ position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR IT VIBRATE!

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings.”

(Better yet, don’t carry your cell phone into the courtroom.)”

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter/wife/ex-wife/niece/grandma/grand-daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled/crazy and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this. (This conflicts with number 5 below, but that hasn’t stopped some defendants from using both.)

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.” Or, another variation: “I was forced into it by a bad guy!”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender’s advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">