• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My ticket is has mulitple mistakes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

landman1

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

When I looked over my speeding citation yesterday I noticed multiple mistakes.
1. I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, not a Jeep Liberty
2. My licence plate number was incorrect
3. I was issued the ticket at 11:00ish AM, ticket states 11:00 pm
4. My car is Gold not Green

This is the information on the printed reciept from the new machines they are apparently using in Harris County now.

Is my speeding citation considered a "Legal Document". If it is, doesn't it have to be factually accurate. I dont want to dispute the charge, I am looking for a slam dunk argument to have the ticket dismissed.

Curt581

landman1 said:

This is the information on the printed reciept from the new machines they are apparently using in Harris County now.

Is my speeding citation considered a "Legal Document". If it is, doesn't it have to be factually accurate. I dont want to dispute the charge, I am looking for a slam dunk argument to have the ticket dismissed.
When I looked over your post today, I noticed multiple mistakes.

It's spelled "Multiple", not "Mulitple" as in the title line.

It's spelled "receipt", not "reciept".

See? You're just as guilty of making errors as the officer who cited you.

None of the errors you listed above will result in the "slam dunk" you're looking for. In fact, they'll be seen as irrelevant.

Good luck.

landman1

Curt581

"See? You're just as guilty of making errors as the officer who cited you."

I'm as guilty as the cop? Are you kidding. I misspelled (1) word in my whole post, sorry, just 1, go back and read it. It's irrelevant anyway.

If charges are going to be leveled against me by an officer of the law, then they should be accurate.

Anybody who wants to actually put some thought in their posts, and maybe a little explanation for their conclusions, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Curt581

landman1 said:
I'm as guilty as the cop?
Of making minor, irrelevant errors... Yes.
If charges are going to be leveled against me by an officer of the law, then they should be accurate.
Now it's charges, as in multiple, or should I say "Mulitple"?

The entire point was this:

People are fallible, and prone to minor handwriting errors. Even cops.

The courts recognize this, and make allowances accordingly.

The answer to your question is... No, those errors will not result in the citation being dismissed.

Next question.

landman1

So it is your belief completely misidentifying the model and color of my vehicle counts as a minor handwriting error, especially when no handwriting ever took place? Remember, he was using a hand held computer.

By the way, what are your qualifications? The advice you are giving is completely contrary to almost everything I have read on this subject.

You Are Guilty

landman1 said:
Anybody who wants to actually put some thought in their posts, and maybe a little explanation for their conclusions, will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
You got the legally correct answer, (from a LEO), despite your attitude. If you want additional information, you can search "speeding ticket" on this site and read the hundreds and hundreds of posts similar to yours, all who received the same answer.

Curt581

landman1 said:
So it is your belief completely misidentifying the model and color of my vehicle counts as a minor handwriting error, especially when no handwriting ever took place? Remember, he was using a hand held computer.
Pure semantics.
By the way, what are your qualifications? The advice you are giving is completely contrary to almost everything I have read on this subject.
Then by all means, go to court and use the defense you've outlined. Don't take my word for it. See what happens. :D

Don't forget that you came here, and asked us these questions. If you already had the answer you wanted, why bother?

cell76

From what I understand, these errors do not constitute fatal errors that would allow a tcket to be dismissed. As long youre standing their in front of the judge and the officer can identify you as the defendant...its legit.

bluepants

The most important point is that you said your license plate was incorrect.
Do not tell that to anyone until your trial date. Your first court date will probably be with a prosecutor for arraignment. Where he will offer you a plea bargain perhaps. Do not tell him any information about the mistakes. Except tell him there are 4 pieces of incorrect information on the ticket so perhaps the officer pulled over the wrong car he intended. Do not give them any information above that.

Save the rest for your court date where you get to cross examine the witness(officer). Ask him what color your car was, don't correct him. Ask him what license, don't correct him. The more wrong information you get him to testify to, the stronger your case for an incompetent witness.

After the prosecution has closed their case, you motion for dismissal on incompetent witness, motion for dismissal for inability to identify vehicle.

With the new machines you said they were testing, with a little digging, I would not be surprised if there are more grounds to weaken their case.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

bluepants

landman1 said:
What is the name of your state? TEXAS

---------------
Your citation is not a legal document. Remember it's not the citation that will convict you. It's the witness's testamony in a court of law that counts. Let the witness 'remember' from the ticket and testify to a completely different event. I joined the National Motorists Association. www.motorists.org for more additional ticket fighting information. There are a lot of resources out there. Some good some bad. Just take some time and I think you have a good case.

Remember the witness also is not allowed to read from his/her notes (eg citation). You should make an objection when you see the witness is reading from notes. Most judges will probably let it pass tho.

You Are Guilty

bluepants said:
There are a lot of resources out there. Some good some bad. Just take some time and I think you have a good case.

Remember the witness also is not allowed to read from his/her notes (eg citation). You should make an objection when you see the witness is reading from notes. Most judges will probably let it pass tho.
Speaking of bad resources, here's a good example. It's 100% legal for an officer to read his notes, read a newspaper or read the day's lottery numbers if it helps him refresh his recollection (which is why judges will "let it pass").

You should ask the judge to permit you to see whatever the officer looks at, however.

G

Gevalia

<<I misspelled (1) word in my whole post, sorry, just 1, go back and read it>>

Nope. There are eight errors in the OP.

Just trying to be helpful. :)

marbol

For what it's worth, I am not a lawyer.

However, I have had tickets in Texas and had one dismissed off the bat because of ONE single mistake in a ticket.

The officer put that I was speeding 45 in a 30 zone. I went back and checked and the speed limit for that area was 35.

I took the matter to court. Before the trial, the prosecutor asked if he could see my copy of the ticket. I showed it to him. But on HIS copy, the officer had scratched out the 30 and put 35. My ticket had no such alteration.

I was told that the officer committed fraud when he deliberatly changed his copy of the ticket AFTER I had signed it. My copy of the unaltered ticket was proof of the alteration after the fact.

So... Was the ticket indeed a "document"? Apparently in my case, it was because the ticket was dismissed outright even though the prosecutor had the office there in court and was ready for trial.

Read into this what you will, but I'd say that if the office made THAT many mistakes on your ticket, you could pretty much have a fun time with him at questioning.

I would go ask the prosecutors to please drop the case because of the errors. If they change their copy of the ticket and not yours, bring your copy (and keep another one in case they try to alter yours right there).

keith.e

I think you have a solid chance at 'slam dunking' this case.

Whatever his qualifications may be, the guy who corrected your spelling apparently doesn't realize that the license plate #, the time of the citation, and the make and color of a vehicle is completely different from a spelling error. The parellel he's trying to draw is bunk and he used a tact trying to make you look foolish. He failed.

He also failed to realize that you're not an officer of the law writing citations that are supposed to be accurate and representitive of the situation. Those are not mere spelling mistakes, but blatant errors that should never have happened. How the heck do you not write down the right license plate #?

With the amount of errors on your ticket, I'd be tempted to ask when this officer's last eye exam was had. Amazing.

talk2farley

Plead not guilty at your hearing, and secure a trial date. When its time to interview the citeing officer, ask him what color your car was, what time the incident took place, your license plate number, etc.

He will use his notes and the citation to offer the testimony (since he obviously can't be expected to remember exactly), and therefore will quite likely cite erroneous information. And then you have your slam dunk (move to have the charge dropped because the officer doesn't remember).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">