• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

name misspelled on ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

avikingfan

Can I and try to get my speeding ticket thrown out of court because the officer spelled my name wrong?? I live in Pa. and tickets are very expensive in this state.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

avikingfan said:
Can I and try to get my speeding ticket thrown out of court because the officer spelled my name wrong?? I live in Pa. and tickets are very expensive in this state.
My response:

The judge will ask you - -

1. "Is that your correct driver's licence number?"

2. "Is that the correct information concerning your car?"

Then, he'll say - -

"Well, the officer obviously misspelled your name, and it couldn't have been YOU behind the wheel of that vehicle. Case dismissed."

Yeah, that'll happen . . .

IAAL

P

plifter

Liable, why are you always such a wiseguy? People are asking for advice, not wisecracks.

I would say that this case would depend on how bad the name error is. If your name is Bob Smith and the officer wrote down Bob Smyth then you probably would have no case. However of you're Bob Smith and the name on the ticket said Phil McKrevice then you may have a case. Even if you admit that you were indeed stopped by the officer you would certainly have a good reason to question the officer's state of mind at the time of the incident if he made such a ridiculous error.

dncr

How about if you just pay your fine like a decent person, rather than trying to get out of it on a technicality? You knew speeding was illegal when you did it. You took your chances, and you got caught. Live with it. Maybe those expensive tickets in PA will remind you to be more careful next time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">