• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Narcolepsy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack22578

What is the name of your state?I'm in Virginia. I'm curious about something. If I get diagnosed with a sleep disorder, like narcolepsy, and I'm on medicine that prevents the sleep fits, will my license be taken? :confused:

JETX

Mack22578 said:
What is the name of your state?I'm in Virginia. I'm curious about something. If I get diagnosed with a sleep disorder, like narcolepsy, and I'm on medicine that prevents the sleep fits, will my license be taken? :confused:
Yep. If you are a danger to other drivers.... you shouldn't be driving.

rmet4nzkx

Mack22578 said:
It all depends on your diagnosis by your neurologist and or other appropriate medical provider, the medication and your stability and compliance with medication. If you have narcolepsy, take your medication and are still impaired, your provider may be required to pull your licnese. If you have sleep apnea and are not compliant with treatment and are impaired, your license may be pulled. If you are driving impaired you may not only receive a DWI but also lose your license or have it restricted. Unfortunately, with sleep disorders you may have no warning or be unable to detect when you are impaired, so it may be too late when someone decides to pull your license.

Having a sleep disorder is not a get out of jail card for a DUI/DWI.

JETX

rmet4nzkx said:
If you are driving impaired you may not only receive a DWI but also lose your license or have it restricted.
Additionally, if you are driving and are involved in an accident, your fault or not, your illness will be VERY seriously looked at by the other party. If they can show that you are LIKELY at fault.... you will be looking at a potential HUGE lawsuit.
Also, some insurance company's may deny you coverage unless you are willing to guarantee you will follow your doctors orders... and if you don't, the insurance coverage will be denied.

Simply, you are clearly aware of the hazards of driving.... and do so at your own risk (to others on the road).

Mack22578

OK, Folks. Let's take a look at the ORIGINAL post again, in which I said.....

"I'm curious about something. If I get diagnosed with a sleep disorder, like narcolepsy, and I'm on medicine that prevents the sleep fits, will my license be taken?"

The key part of this question is that I am taking medicine that prevents the sleep fits....I want to know the legal ramifications of it if I AM following the treatment and it's working.

"And please....no broad replies. I'm looking for specifics, possibly even reference material to look up in VA lawbooks myself."

JETX

Mack22578 said:
"I'm curious about something. If I get diagnosed with a sleep disorder, like narcolepsy, and I'm on medicine that prevents the sleep fits, will my license be taken?"

The key part of this question is that I am taking medicine that prevents the sleep fits....I want to know the legal ramifications of it if I AM following the treatment and it's working.
Okay, lets cut to the chase.... no one can answer your question without COMPLETE and FULL facts. And even if we could.... no one here is a member of the Virginia DMV.... so we can't tell you what they might do.
The ONLY way to get an accurate answer to your question is to contact the VA DMV in writing and detail your medical condition.... and ask them.

I can, and did, warn you of the risks to yourself and others in the event that you, like so many others, simply refuse or 'forget' to take your medication and are involved in an accident.

rmet4nzkx

No one here can answer that quesion because these are decided on a case by case basis, starting with the reporting by your medical provider. We have to give you the consequences of non compliance as they apply to the situation in general because we have no facts. Many people take their medication and keep their licenses, some have events and don't know or don't report them out of fear, some kill people because they don't.

There are effective medications for sleep disorders but sleep disorders are not always simple and straightforward in treatment and effectiveness in addition to the cost of the medication, too many issues to cite a statute.

Bottom line, be honest with your neurologist and get and comply with treatment.

MaliS

Before it must be established by a practicing/licensed physician that you do indeed have narcolepsy. Once that is established you will be prescribed narcolepsy drugs like for example an amphetamine may be used, like ritalin. The doctor will prescribe it to you and do a follow up on you to see how the medication is working. If the doctor feels the medication is working he can write a letter on a letterhead to the DMV or whatever agency indicating that you are under a treatment plan for your narcolepsy.

IF you have a medication that has "cured" your narcolepsy, especially with a letter from a Physician saying your fine as long as you comply, no one has the right to take your license from you because you are considered "cured", or following the protocol to prevent an onset of narcolepsy as long as you are compliant with your medications.

Unless offcourse you have prior history in the doctors medical record indicating non-compliance, than Id think the Doctor would probably indicate in the letter the history of non-compliance just to cover his as*, and in that case the agency that will determine whether you keep your license will probably think twice about letting you drive around in the public, EVEN IF YOU ARE TAKING MEDICATION

Thats the Medical Point of view, hope that helps

Last edited:

JETX

MaliS said:
IF you have a medication that has "cured" your narcolepsy, especially with a letter from a Physician saying your fine as long as you comply, no one has the right to take your license from you because you are considered "cured", or following the protocol to prevent an onset of narcolepsy as long as you are compliant with your medications.
And of course, that is pure crap!!
There is no RIGHT to drive. The PRIVILEDGE of having a valid drivers license is granted by the state... and can be revoked by the state.

And what medical school did YOU go to???

MaliS

Mr JetX

If the individual Is Dx'ed with narcolepsy, and he is compliant, and has no negative history from the doctor on non-compliance, this means that he is just as safe of a driver as YOU yourself are on the road.

Medication has been proved to work, and statistics or an "expert" in this matter in a court of law will easily overide anything you have to say. Driving is a right everyone has in the United States as long as they comply with certain criteria.

Like I said, if negative history is present, a smart doctor will indicate that, that way keeping himself on the clear, and leaving the ultimate judgment to the agency which decides.

Mr JetX, there is NO NEED to get rouled up, im sure youve had a hard day at work, we all have hard days, as a medical student, my advice to you is BREATH, and keep doing it, because your beligerent response sounds as if you dont breath fully too often, and please calm down also, and besides youll have a longer life.

The Medical School I went to I beleive is NON OF YOUR BUSSINESS, I refuse to get caught up in this childlike nonsense.

Thank You all

rmet4nzkx

MaliS said:
Before it must be established by a practicing/licensed physician that you do indeed have narcolepsy. Once that is established you will be prescribed narcolepsy drugs like for example an amphetamine may be used, like ritalin. The doctor will prescribe it to you and do a follow up on you to see how the medication is working. If the doctor feels the medication is working he can write a letter on a letterhead to the DMV or whatever agency indicating that you are under a treatment plan for your narcolepsy.

Unless offcourse you have prior history in the doctors medical record indicating non-compliance, than Id think the Doctor would probably indicate in the letter the history of non-compliance just to cover his as*, and in that case the agency that will determine whether you keep your license will probably think twice about letting you drive around in the public, EVEN IF YOU ARE TAKING MEDICATION

Let's get that MD or other professional certification after your name before you cite a medical opinion, remember you are still a medical student and this is one of many places where you can gain very useful information from experienced professionals.

OP's question while titled NARCOLEPSY was in fact a general question.
In this day and age of substance abuse and drug seeking, the routine Rx of amphetamine drugs has been replaced with more effective Rx without the additional risk of addiction and increases treatment compliance. Modafinil (Provigil) is such a medication, which has several effective off lable uses for treatment of fatigue in MS, TBI & sleep apnea. It is essential for appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

MaliS

I acknowledge that, and in a forum, that is what I expect to do, learn things. Im in a law forum ok, Im not coming in here trying to disrespect anyone, and I aknowledge that you all are well learned in your feilds. Now my question to you is, DID I DO OR SAY SOMETHING THAT WAS WRONG?

One of the members attacked me by saying I was full of crap, now come on, Im A STUDENT and I acknowledge that, and you say you are profesionals, so in my process of becoming a professional please respond to me PROFESSIONALLY, so i may learn the same from you all and treat other PROFESSIONALLY, NOT BY TELLING PEOPLE THERE ADVICE IS CRAP!, If you beleive in taking the higher road Im sure someone can explain to me in a nice way and Ill respect that.

If you say that in a court of law, call the other lawyers statement, or even a witness's statement crap, well im sure the judge will not be too pleased, and it wont look good professionally.

Can you tell me if there was something wrong in what I said?

I acknowledge that I am a MEDICAL STUDENT, but run that by a physician with MD behind his name and im sure your more then likely to get the same response.

rmet4nzkx, I do appreciate the help you have given me in the other forum, which I am thankfull for, and would like to thank you for your time again, and would like to thank you for your respectful response in this forum to me, unlike others.

You Are Guilty

MaliS said:
I acknowledge that, and in a forum, that is what I expect to do, learn things. Im in a law forum ok, Im not coming in here trying to disrespect anyone, and I aknowledge that you all are well learned in your feilds. Now my question to you is, DID I DO OR SAY SOMETHING THAT WAS WRONG?
You sure did. Twice as a matter of fact. But since I have a big tub of popcorn all ready, I'm just going to sit back and watch as someone else tells you exactly what it was. This ought to be good.

One of the members attacked me by saying I was full of crap, now come on, Im A STUDENT and I acknowledge that, and you say you are profesionals, so in my process of becoming a professional please respond to me PROFESSIONALLY, so i may learn the same from you all and treat other PROFESSIONALLY, NOT BY TELLING PEOPLE THERE ADVICE IS CRAP!, If you beleive in taking the higher road Im sure someone can explain to me in a nice way and Ill respect that.
See above. However, I wouldn't hold my breath on the "being nice" part.

If you say that in a court of law, call the other lawyers statement, or even a witness's statement crap, well im sure the judge will not be too pleased, and it wont look good professionally.
You clearly have never been in a courtroom :D

Can you tell me if there was something wrong in what I said?
Rest easy, you'll certainly get the answer you seek.

I acknowledge that I am a MEDICAL STUDENT, but run that by a physician with MD behind his name and im sure your more then likely to get the same response.
How is the weather in Guadalajara these days?

rmet4nzkx, I do appreciate the help you have given me in the other forum, which I am thankfull for, and would like to thank you for your time again, and would like to thank you for your respectful response in this forum to me, unlike others.
Brownnoser :p

JETX

MaliS said:
If the individual Is Dx'ed with narcolepsy, and he is compliant, and has no negative history from the doctor on non-compliance, this means that he is just as safe of a driver as YOU yourself are on the road.
And I agree. But that is NOT what you said. You said "no one has the right to take your license from you because you are considered "cured".... and that, as I noted in my post, is pure crap!!

Driving is a right everyone has in the United States as long as they comply with certain criteria.
See, there you go with your CRAP again. Driving is NOT a right. Where does it say anything about driving in the US Constitution?? Please provide ANY legal citation to support your 'imaginary right'. Come on.... we are waiting......

as a medical student
So, your just 'playing doctor', huh??
Gee, I might just run your DSN/ISP and let your medical school know that you are out here dispensing medical advice.
"Thats the Medical Point of view, hope that helps" would more accurately be... that is the view of a claimed 'medical student', huh??

my advice to you is BREATH
Need to got back to school... the correct word is BREATHE, you nitwit!!

beligerent
Do you mean 'belligerent'??

response sounds as if you dont breath fully too often
Again... BREATHE!

and please calm down also, and besides youll have a longer life.
Do you mean you'll (contraction of 'you will')??

The Medical School I went to
Gee, kind of confused aren't you?? Here you say the school you WENT to... and above you said you were a student. So, guess you flunked out, huh??

I beleive is NON OF YOUR BUSSINESS
Your secret is out...
Simply very unlikely that ANYONE with even a high school education spells as poorly as you. You probably just 'played doctor' with your chums in the school yard, probably with each other.
'Believe'
'None'
'Business'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">