• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

National Driver Registry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kenjae

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois problem.

My husband went to renew his Virginia driver's license (that he's held over 20 years) and was refused because of the National Driver Registry hit on some Illinois speeding tickets he received in 1967 through 1969...over 40 years ago when he was a kid. Most were dealt with at the time, but a few seem to be outstanding (no statute of limitations?). Besides no driver's license renewal, what are the other legal ramifications of this? Is there anything we can do to expunge the record or is it all about the money. 40 years worth of fines and fees is just not happening.
thanks,
gettin' ready to walk....:eek:[/B][/B]What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I_Got_Banned

no statute of limitations?
Statute of limitations applies to the time period between the commission of the violation and the time it is filed in court... So if these citations were filed in a timely manner, they will remain as open cases until they are properly adjudicated.

Is there anything we can do to expunge the record or is it all about the money....
He should contact the DMV for info about which court those citations are in and then contact the court to see what needs to be done to dispose of them.

kenjae

RE: Answer

Thank you for your response. We've been told within the last few minutes, that if we contact the Ill. DMV and give them our address for information, they will promptly send out a summons, warrant, or garnishment for whatever they can get or my husband will do jail time for foolish behavior from 40 years ago. After decades of tax paying, law abiding, and upstanding citizenry we are totally dismayed. We had no idea this type of thing was happening and we're too old now to put up with that kind of vindictive nonsense. :p We're on a fixed income and can't afford what it takes to straighten it all out.

So, guess he won't be driving anymore, all the vehicles are in my name (no NDR record on me so the registration restrictions don't apply either) and I'll take him wherever he needs to go.

Maestro64

To the Op, your husband could have paid those fines, but because 40 yrs ago record keeping was not the best, they may no longer have any proof of them being paid. The state of IL is basically coursing you into paying them since they know full well that no person has records from 40 yrs ago even if he paid with a bank check no bank is required to keep records that long. State know this and they are all going through old record for any ticket where records are not complete, they are assuming it was never paid and going after people. There has been some cases where the state could not even provide any proof a ticket was ever issued but it did not stop them from listing people in the National Register for failure to pay.

[SOAPBOX]
You can thank the Patriot Act for this one, the fed required that all states share DMV records with the national register, it was suppose to stop terrorism but state are using as means to close budget gaps

Your husband has won the award for the oldest unpaid ticket that government came after someone, before this the oldest I have heard about was 27yrs. States are surely getting desperate going back that far to unearth old tickets, think about how much time they are putting into this since those record were not in any computer system, they were in some box in some warehouse and they are paying someone to go through those files and then enter them into a computer. Your fine tax dollars at work there.

[End SOAPBOX]

Last edited:

Kiawah

So, guess he won't be driving anymore, all the vehicles are in my name (no NDR record on me so the registration restrictions don't apply either) and I'll take him wherever he needs to go.
Then that will work out for you. You'll also save on insurance premiums, since you'll only have one driver to insure, instead of two. If you want to, you can take that insurance savings, and pay off his old tickets, just in case in the future he wants to re-apply for a drivers license.

Mass_Shyster

Thank you for your response. We've been told within the last few minutes, that if we contact the Ill. DMV and give them our address for information, they will promptly send out a summons, warrant, or garnishment for whatever they can get or my husband will do jail time for foolish behavior from 40 years ago.
You can have an attorney contact them on his behalf. That would eliminate many of the possible repercussions you've described.

kenjae

National driver registry the ongoing saga

Thanks to all that responded,
Against my better judgement, my husband contacted the Illinois DMV and the rep on the phone said that his driver's license was revoked in 1967 (although he dealt with tickets after that) and that's what they want him to reinstate for $500. We're supposed to download a form from the Ill DMV website for an "out of state hearing" to see what gets resolved. The rep said it's only the 1967 incident they're interested in ($$$), not anything else...the other charges are just too old.

My concern is that once they get the current address info they can simply send a summons and have him arrested, garnish his retirement pay or put a lien on the house. Does anyone know if this can actually happen? Will they simply set up a time for a phone call and tell him what the total fines are and send him a receipt or clear the record?

Considering what's going on in this country, I'm not going to have a 65 year old diabetic sitting in a jail cell or having my home taken from me. Contacting an attorney is so expensive...but, my husband is crushed over this and I'm desperate to help....

Maestro64

IL will find out where you live, now that VA has connected his VA license to the IL one, IL will have access to the information in the database. You right they are only interested in the $$$ at this point. Your right, they can pretty much do what they like you either have to prove all the tickets were paid for at the time and his license was never suspended or just pay up.

However, it sounds interesting that they claim his license was in suspension since 1967, in IL, how long was he in IL after 67 I highly doubt they left him drive around their state on a suspended license for any period of time. It sounds like a case of a young kid with lots of ticket who got maybe an automatic suspension and was never notify of it. Then again, most driving laws back them were pretty simple and you did not hear of suspended license during those time, the point system was kind of new back then and not all states were using them.

kenjae

National driver registry the ongoing saga

Thanks again; however, it turns out bittersweet. Illinois is dangling an expensive carrot in the hopes that we'll pay for the license reinstatement in Illinois, pay for insurance in Illinois and then pay yet again as each little "problem" comes up (worse than a foreign jail) even though we live in Virginia in order to remove the NDS hit...LOL Nonetheless, we were told, in writing, by a valid authority from the Illinois DMV court rep, that they are after more recent problem drivers and have no interest, time, or state funds in pursuing a 40 year old license suspension. They will not, however, take the hit off of the NDS unless we step into the $$$ hamster wheel and my husband will simply have to settle for an ID card at this point. The Patriot act does not allow them to pursue anything (ie; warrants, liens, etc.) for this, we have to actually "volunteer" to be abused financially by filling out an OOSH (out of state hearing request). Which is not going to happen.

Since we are retired, driving is no big deal. We'll save plenty on insurance, fees, even our credit report...LOL. This whole mess was probably a blessing in disguise. However, I feel obligated to warn people in our generation that when our teacher told us that this "would go on our permanent record" they weren't kidding.:D Thanks to all...goodbye:D:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">