• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

National park ranger stopping outside of the park

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yugin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi,

I was trapped by a National Park Ranger, right before the exit from the Yosemite National park. After I exited the park, a ranger stopped me few hundred yards outside the park border. Does a ranger have a jurisdiction outside of National Park? Can he issue me a ticket in such a way? Also, the outside territory is a National Forest.

Thanks.

CdwJava

Yes, he can detain you for a public offense committed in his presence, or for a felony that he has probable cause to believe you have committed even if outside his presence. His only real limitation would be that he could not cite for a federal violation if it did not occur on federal land. He could, however, generally cite for a violation of state law.

But, a federal officer stopping you in a national Forest as opposed to the National Park is NOT going to be an issue.

You'll have to find another defense.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">