• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC Do mopeds require constantly active tail lights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pyrasius

Hello everyone, I am from Jacksonville NC and recently police have been harassing me about the lights on my scooter. The break and turn signal lights only come on when activated by there respective switches none are permanently on and can't be without expensive modifications or constantly holding all the buttons which would be extremely dangerous to me and I would rather not pay for modifications if I don't have to. My moped has reflectors on the back and the state laws seemed to indicate that this was ok but I would like a second opinion from someone more versed in these matters. I haven't gotten an actual ticket just a warning ticket and an officer yelling at me across the lane at a stop light but, better to know before I get pulled over again. Would a ticket for this just get thrown out of court or dose my local pd know what it is talking about for once?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello everyone, I am from Jacksonville NC and recently police have been harassing me about the lights on my scooter. The break and turn signal lights only come on when activated by there respective switches none are permanently on and can't be without expensive modifications or constantly holding all the buttons which would be extremely dangerous to me and I would rather not pay for modifications if I don't have to. My moped has reflectors on the back and the state laws seemed to indicate that this was ok but I would like a second opinion from someone more versed in these matters. I haven't gotten an actual ticket just a warning ticket and an officer yelling at me across the lane at a stop light but, better to know before I get pulled over again. Would a ticket for this just get thrown out of court or dose my local pd know what it is talking about for once?
Brake lights and turn lights are never permanently on...that's not how they work.

Zigner

After a cursory examination of NC law, it would appear that brake lights and turn signals are not required. Are you sure that your moped meets the definition of a moped in your state?

Pyrasius

Brake lights and turn lights are never permanently on...that's not how they work.
At night there are dim light that are constantly active on most other types of vehicles. My scooter has no such lights. Sorry if my question was unclear.

Pyrasius

After a cursory examination of NC law, it would appear that brake lights and turn signals are not required. Are you sure that your moped meets the definition of a moped in your state?
I am sure, it has a 50cc engine, 2 wheels, and it will not exceed 30 on a level surface, registered and everything. Besides if they thought my scooter didn't meet the requirements wouldn't they be yelling at me about a lot more infractions, like the fact that I have no drivers liscense, or insurance, and since I have a moped plate fraud?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
At night there are dim light that are constantly active on most other types of vehicles. My scooter has no such lights. Sorry if my question was unclear.
There are light kits that are powered by the wheel motion. You might want to look into that. :cool:

Zigner

I would consider it as a bicycle:

20-129. Required Lighting Equipment of Vehicles.
(e) Lamps on Bicycles. Every bicycle shall be equipped with a lighted lamp visible up to
three hundred feet in front when used at night and must also be equipped with a taillight or
rear reflector that is red and visible for up to two hundred feet from the rear when used at
night.

tammy8

Ask the DMV. Scooters are the new *hot topic* issue in NC since July 1 and most of us NC insurance agents don't even understand the laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">