• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC: Speeding 75 in a 55, HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iminvalid

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

So i was hit today going 75 in a 55 and have a court date in February. Will they take away my license?? I have not had a ticket in over 2 years, and this is really my first offense. Can a lawyer help out?

I dont mind the fine or license points so much, its the taking away of my license that frightens me. Thanks in advance

sukharev

If that's all you worry about, then don't. You are not going to loose your license, unless there is something you did not tell us (like how can it be that you have not had a ticket in over 2 years, but this is your first ticket).

iminvalid

this is my first ticket in NC, i have had a previous ticket in another state.

I didnt think they would revoke my license, but the state website says:
"Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of:
* driving any vehicle more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you are driving at a speed higher than 55 mph. "

i am really not that worried and i think that revoking a license would only apply to repeat offenders or going like 100 in a 40.

lwpat

PJC is a Prayer for Judgement. Basically it is a "freebie" that one member of the household can take once every three years. NC will suspend your license for a 15mph+, either in state or out of state. This has caught a lot of NC drivers who have just paid an out of state ticket. Go in and talk to the ADA and take the PFJ, the clerk of court can tell you the hours. Probably not a problem but you are at the usual limit. If they won't deal retain an attorney.

A lawyer can get it reduced to a 9 over which will have no insurance points or risk of suspension.

Or you can ask for a PJC which will also defer the insurance points (the judge may say no).

If convicted, you will receive 2 insurance points (45% increase in insurance for 3 years). Attorney fees will be close to what you will save in increases the first year.

You will be getting letters in the mail offering to help, this is big business in NC.

lwpat

Hi Robbie
Does NC report tickets to other states? I was told they do not report unless they are 15+ but have not been able to confirm.
Thanks

Howdy Lwpat

Since I'm just a resident (not a lawyer) and never received a NC ticket until I moved here ;) so I really don't know.

Implication is that only "serious" violations that could result in suspension of your licence are reported back into the system. Of course as that would include 15 over or 80+.

When the Drivers Licence Agreement replaces the Driver License Compact and the Non-Resident Violator Compact, it will become mandatory to report everything.

iminvalid

robbie,
do you know of any good contacts in greensboro, nc that would be able to get this knocked down?

glad to hear that you are confident about this, i appreciate it

I don't know anyone in Greensbro.

Find an office near the court that specializes in traffic cases. You want someone who eats lunch and/or plays golf with the DA ;)

Another good clue is when they can tell you the troopers names.

Expect to pay something in the $350 - $500 range for attorney fees. They might be higher if you had a conviction within the past three years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">