• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice to get my CA DL back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pickcgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,
I need some legal advice on how to proceed to try to get my driver's license back in good standing. Please note, I am well aware I made some very stupid decisions and it is completely my fault for the situation I am in. Any advice apart from that would be GREATLY appreciated.

The two things on my driving record that I need to take care of are:
* a ticket from 2008 for unsafe passing and no insurance = $1,376
* a failure to appear

My license expired and was then suspended for failing to pay that ticket/failure to appear. I could not afford the ticket and put off paying it for so long that it has been sold to GC Collection Services. Is my only option to pay it off completely/make payment arrangements with them?

I got stopped in LA (4 hours south of where I live) last week on a trip where I was interviewing for a job. Because of my license and expired tags (I paid the registration fees but had failed to get it smogged to receive my new tag), they impounded my car for 30 days in LA. I also was told to make an appt. at the LA Court by Sep. 26th.

My questions: Can I get my court appearance location moved to where I live since I have no car and no one who can take me to LA? If not, can I write a letter instead of appearing/to clear up the failure to appear? Should I hire an attorney and would that have any affect on the outcome?

I want to get my license back in good standing and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,
I need some legal advice on how to proceed to try to get my driver's license back in good standing. Please note, I am well aware I made some very stupid decisions and it is completely my fault for the situation I am in. Any advice apart from that would be GREATLY appreciated.

The two things on my driving record that I need to take care of are:
* a ticket from 2008 for unsafe passing and no insurance = $1,376
* a failure to appear

My license expired and was then suspended for failing to pay that ticket/failure to appear. I could not afford the ticket and put off paying it for so long that it has been sold to GC Collection Services. Is my only option to pay it off completely/make payment arrangements with them?

I got stopped in LA (4 hours south of where I live) last week on a trip where I was interviewing for a job. Because of my license and expired tags (I paid the registration fees but had failed to get it smogged to receive my new tag), they impounded my car for 30 days in LA. I also was told to make an appt. at the LA Court by Sep. 26th.

My questions: Can I get my court appearance location moved to where I live since I have no car and no one who can take me to LA? If not, can I write a letter instead of appearing/to clear up the failure to appear? Should I hire an attorney and would that have any affect on the outcome?

no you cant get the venue changed, no you cant write a letter, yes I think a lawyer can help you, yes your only option with the existing ticket is pay it, or make payment arrangements.

I want to get my license back in good standing and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you.
its going to cost money.

CourtClerk

no you cant get the venue changed, no you cant write a letter, yes I think a lawyer can help you, yes your only option with the existing ticket is pay it, or make payment arrangements.

its going to cost money.
Once again, Banned Princess is pulling answers out of her rear...

No, you can't have venue changed - that you should have asked for when the ticket was written or at arraignment.

Yes, you CAN write a letter. Send it Attn: Judge's Consideration to the court where your ticket is. Your letter should be clear and concise not one full of excuses. Remember to be reasonable in what you're expecting (please make the ticket go away isn't reasonable), do not attempt to try your ticket on paper, ask for REASONABLE payment arrangements. $20/mo on a $1000 ticket ISN'T reasonable. Shoot for paying a debt of $900 or less in 3 months, $900 or more in 6 months.

Depending on what the status is of your ticket, it's quite possible for you to get your license back, if not just temporarily. It really depends on how many FTA's are on your record.

Since BP blue it so bad and we hate newbies to be exposed to bad advice here, if your ticket is in LA County and you'd like me to help you, please send me a private message with the ticket number and the issuing agency (LAPD, LASD, etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">