• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NEED advice quick! driving on suspended liscense court questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candacemerrow

What is the name of your state - florida

Ok long story made short.
MY fiancees insurance expired on his car, so they notified the Jacksonville sherriffs office and they suspended his lisense.

However, he was unaware of this due to us moving and him no longer having the same address.
Ok well we live in duval county, and he was pulled over in Clay county.
The state trooper pulled us over because they ran our tag and there was a "sieze" for it

She pulled us over wrote him a ticket for driving with a suspended lisense , seized our tag, and wrote another for driving with no insurance.

so we parked the car and it got towed.

He has to go to court on Thursday. And I am very nervous they told us he could spend 60 DAYS in jail! IS this true?? We are very low on money right now, and are having a really hard time, surviving, now this?

HOW likely... is it for him to actually go to jail?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I_Got_Banned

MY fiancees insurance expired on his car, so they notified the Jacksonville sherriffs office and they suspended his lisense.
Wrong... They notified the DMV and THEY suspended his license.

However, he was unaware of this due to us moving and him no longer having the same address.
Wrong! He was unaware of this due to his not changing his address with the DMV. That, is HIS responsibility... Failing to do that can (and obviously will) result in him not knowing the status of his license if & when it gets suspended.

Futhermore, he was aware that his insurance got cancelled. And it is also his responsibility to know the law and how it will affect the status of his license.

He has to go to court on Thursday. And I am very nervous they told us he could spend 60 DAYS in jail! IS this true?? ...

HOW likely... is it for him to actually go to jail?
What vehicle code sections he was cited for?

FlyingRon

This is why the law requires you to notify them as to change of address.

Jail is unlikely, but more likely is he's going to get whacked with a whole lot of fines. Failure to insure is a second degree misdemeanor. Driving while suspended (in this case) is just a traffic infraction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">