• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice re: out of state traffic cite and traffic school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KCS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello everyone,

I was traveling home to California from Nevada yesterday (yay New Years) and received an unsafe lane change traffic citation. I'm a California licensed driver, but the ticket was received in Nevada. According to the website of the county I was in (Douglas), they do not accept traffic school. My question is, can I take a Californian traffic school to avoid the hit to my driving record/insurance rates? This is my 1st ticket I've received in my 9 year driving history and I'd like to try and keep it clean. I plan on paying the citation because I was wrong and it was a justified ticket. Any online references or data would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hello everyone,

I was traveling home to California from Nevada yesterday (yay New Years) and received an unsafe lane change traffic citation. I'm a California licensed driver, but the ticket was received in Nevada. According to the website of the county I was in (Douglas), they do not accept traffic school. My question is, can I take a Californian traffic school to avoid the hit to my driving record/insurance rates? This is my 1st ticket I've received in my 9 year driving history and I'd like to try and keep it clean. I plan on paying the citation because I was wrong and it was a justified ticket. Any online references or data would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
If NV doesn't allow traffic school, then going to a California traffic school will do no good.

sandyclaus

Hello everyone,

This one is pretty simple.

If the court in the jurisdiction where your ticket was issued does not accept traffic school to keep the ticket off your driving record, then that is the answer. If you had received the ticket in California, you would be bound by the rules of the traffic courts in CA where the ticket was issued. But you weren't, so you must abide by the rules in the jurisdiction where the offense was committed and the ticket was issued.

Looks like you are getting an increase on your insurance and license points from this one, and you won't be able to get out of it as easily as you thought.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">