• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help. do i fight it? School zone and speed limit sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbarker9789

Texas
Got a speeding ticket while in a school zone but there is a 55mph sign in the school zone with no markers on it saying it is a school zone. What do it do fight it? If so How?
. I was going 52 when i past the 55mph sign.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Texas
Got a speeding ticket while in a school zone but there is a 55mph sign in the school zone with no markers on it saying it is a school zone. What do it do fight it? If so How?
I was going 52 when i past the 55mph sign.
You were right in front of the school - and you KNOW that it was a school zone. The 55 sign doesn't apply when the school zone is active.

jbarker9789

and that isnt a school nest to the road its an administration building here is a better view

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
and that isnt a school nest to the road its an administration building here is a better view
You mean right there on the map where it says: "Los Fresnos Elementary School"?

S

shelbyj1990

Always go to court

You should always take your ticket to court and get an appointed lawyer if possible. Taking your ticket and going to court doesn't always mean staying non-guilty. You could go their and plead guilty with explanation. Take pictures and diagrams with you of the environment where your ticket was issued. Make sure they're clear and tell the judge exactly what happened and where the confusion took place. Don't ever blame the officer, or complain about anything. You were speeding in a school zone so it doesn't seem like you'd have much leeway for a case, other than just your side of the story. Depending upon what the charges are, that could be the blueprint for your next step. From what I read though, pleading guilty would be your best bet, however, you could always explain which is better than nothing.

S

shelbyj1990

Shelby

The name Shelby Is a one of a kind name. I may be biased, but I feel that fact should be addressed. Highway man is a one of a kind name also; reminds me of sun bathing in a local trailer park, cousin in hand, worries at bay. Buzz cut on my head and an urge to abuse power and ignore my privelage, however, it fades the more I recall.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Unless you can prove that there was some ambiguity (signs missing, for example) so that a reasonable person wouldn't reasonably know that it's a school zone, you are out of luck.

My experience has been that there are two kinds of school zone signs:
* one kind of sign has specific time constraints listed on it, or "effective when light flashing" on it.
* the other kind of sign has no qualifiers on it and is effective at ALL times.

If you the school zone you were in has the first type of sign, then indeed it is possible that there are times of the day where 55 mph is acceptable. Doubtful, but possible.

Assume that in a school zone the speed limits are lower unless you see a sign explicitly stating time limitations on the lower speed.

P.S. (OT) Don't the TOS have something about limiting the # of user ids to one per person?
P.P.S. (OT) A one of a kind name usually is attached to only one person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">