• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help Here in SC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dvanbrunt1982

What is the name of your state? South Carolina
I was involved in a traffic accident on a 45 MPH two lane road. A saw a woman stopped at a stop sign on the left, and she slowly pulled out in front of me. The trooper measured 147 Feet of skids, and determined I was doing roughly 57-63 MPH. It should be noted it was pitch black when he measured. I measured, and took pictures 2 days later, and only measured 127 feet of skids. Also only my two front tires locked up so I had only 60 percent braking efficiency. The trooper told me on the phone that the extra 20 feet came from a shadowing effect. I have since tested my vehicle and skidded at that speed, and there was no shadowing effect there either. What makes it so bad is he charged me with 100 percent at fault, and never even charged the other woman. It should also be noted that I hit her while she was still halfway in my lane, and did not even hit her hard enough to crack my bumper. Any advice is appreciated.

Dennis

lwpat

South Carolina Speeding Ticket

I am assuming that there was little damage to either vehicle and no PI. Check to see what he has charged you with, the statute number is on the ticket.

If you show up on your court date and all the damage has been taken care of the trooper may dismiss the ticket or offer you a reduction. If you are not satisfied then you have the option of pleading not guilty and requesting a jury trial.

It doesn't matter that he did not charge the other person. He could have issued tickets to you both. You were speeding and she could have been charged with failure to yield. It was a judgement call on his part and it seems correct from your statement. It can be hard to judge the speed of an oncoming vehicle, especially in the dark. By you own admission if you had not been speeding the accident would not have occurred.

dvanbrunt1982

lwpat said:
I am assuming that there was little damage to either vehicle and no PI. Check to see what he has charged you with, the statute number is on the ticket.

If you show up on your court date and all the damage has been taken care of the trooper may dismiss the ticket or offer you a reduction. If you are not satisfied then you have the option of pleading not guilty and requesting a jury trial.

It doesn't matter that he did not charge the other person. He could have issued tickets to you both. You were speeding and she could have been charged with failure to yield. It was a judgement call on his part and it seems correct from your statement. It can be hard to judge the speed of an oncoming vehicle, especially in the dark. By you own admission if you had not been speeding the accident would not have occurred.

No I never said I was speeding, I only measured 127 feet of skids that put me doing about 45 in a 45...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">