• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with a speeding ticket.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shagmatic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

My wife was driving down a road leading into my subdivision, she sets her cruise at 25 (the speed limit is 25) every time she drives down this road because we have problems with people speeding through there. The officer caught her on radar (stalker 2) going 40. The problem with this is that she noticed the vehicle behind her coming up real fast, when that person saw the office they let off and slowed down. The radar reading was obviously reading the other vehicle which was speeding. She was pleading to the office that he had read the other vehicle. (I believe her because I have witnessed her using her cruise control on this stretch faithfully) What can I use as arguments in a court case that I will definitely be attending. I actually stopped and spoke with the office after the fact while on my way to work. He said that his radar reads speeds for both vehicles. I emailed the Sherriff's office to get more information on the radar used. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My wife was driving down a road leading into my subdivision, she sets her cruise at 25 (the speed limit is 25) every time she drives down this road because we have problems with people speeding through there. The officer caught her on radar (stalker 2) going 40. The problem with this is that she noticed the vehicle behind her coming up real fast, when that person saw the office they let off and slowed down. The radar reading was obviously reading the other vehicle which was speeding. She was pleading to the office that he had read the other vehicle. (I believe her because I have witnessed her using her cruise control on this stretch faithfully) What can I use as arguments in a court case that I will definitely be attending. I actually stopped and spoke with the office after the fact while on my way to work. He said that his radar reads speeds for both vehicles. I emailed the Sherriff's office to get more information on the radar used. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Are you an attorney?

Just Blue

Why would one need to set Cruise Control in their own neighborhood? Generally people don't s...peed where they live.;)

Zigner

Why would one need to set Cruise Control in their own neighborhood? Generally people don't s...peed where they live.;)
I disagree. Folks tend to feel more comfortable in their own neighborhood, therefor, they are more inclined to break traffic laws. I can't tell you how many times I see various folks from my neighborhood speeding and blowing through stop signs that they don't really feel apply to them.

ETA: We have a small frontage road that parallels the freeway near my house where I frequently see police waiting for speeders. I set my cruise control at 26. Sure, there's someone who always comes screaming up on me and then has to slow and follow me (I love watching their facial expressions and hand gestures in my mirror), but I enjoy the laugh I get when I see the same folks getting pulled over a day or two later.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Hmmm... I didn't think you could even set a cruise control for a speed as low as 25 mph. If I remember correctly, the minimum for every car I've ever had with cruise was 40 or maybe 35.

Zigner

Hmmm... I didn't think you could even set a cruise control for a speed as low as 25 mph. If I remember correctly, the minimum for every car I've ever had with cruise was 40 or maybe 35.
Every car I've had (from my '87 Mercury to my '93 Suburban to my '04 Rodeo to my '14 Camry) has had 25 as the lower limit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">