• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need quick advise, court on 12/1/09.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgeurian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arkansas
I got a ticket in a friends truck which he gave me to use; i got a ticket for expired tags, no proof of insurance and a no seat belt ticket. i didn't have my seatbelt on, the tags are expired, and there was no insurance on the vehicle at the time. I called my friend and he agreed to give me the title to the vehicle so i could tag and insure the vehicle, so now what do i have to do ? will i have to pay the fine for all 3 tickets?

FlyingRon

While you're probably guilty of all of those charges, a kind judge might (if it is in his discretion at all) buy the story and be lenient if you correct the tag/insurance issue before court, but there's no requirement that he do so (and you might want to inquire with a local lawyer or someone familiar with the court involved to see if it's worth the effort).

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It's his vehicle, why would he give you the title and let you deal with getting it properly registered/insured? Is the "gift" supposed to be payment to you in lieu of the cash to pay the tickets?!

Check to see if the insurance issue is the owner's responsibility. You may be able to avoid penalty on that charge if you prove you were not the owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">