• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need some advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bdawg

florida.

i was driving in the right lane of a 4 lane road in broward county. i approached a sign indicating that my lane was becoming a "right turn only" lane. as i did not want to turn right, i slowed down, put on my left turn signal, waited for a few cars to pass me in the lane to my left, then proceeded to change lanes out of the "right turn only" lane. as all of this was happening, no cars were behind me in the turn only lane, i never slowed down below 20 miles per hour, and the maneuver was completed while still at least 50 feet from the intersection.

i received a ticket for "violation of traffic control device." and the officer wrote "failed to obey right turn only sign".

i haven't received a ticket in 10 years, and i'm not sure if the reward of contesting this is worth the risk, since i can go to driving school and retain my "safe driving" record. it would be more of a principle thing if i choose to go to court.

HomeGuru

bdawg said:
florida.

i was driving in the right lane of a 4 lane road in broward county. i approached a sign indicating that my lane was becoming a "right turn only" lane. as i did not want to turn right, i slowed down, put on my left turn signal, waited for a few cars to pass me in the lane to my left, then proceeded to change lanes out of the "right turn only" lane. as all of this was happening, no cars were behind me in the turn only lane, i never slowed down below 20 miles per hour, and the maneuver was completed while still at least 50 feet from the intersection.

i received a ticket for "violation of traffic control device." and the officer wrote "failed to obey right turn only sign".

i haven't received a ticket in 10 years, and i'm not sure if the reward of contesting this is worth the risk, since i can go to driving school and retain my "safe driving" record. it would be more of a principle thing if i choose to go to court.

**A: since you did not pose a question, many thanks for posting.

B

bdawg

sorry, my question is should i contest the ticket?

did i actually violate any law? everything i've read has stated that the solid single white line i changed lanes over simply means "change lanes with caution".

is a driver not allowed to change lanes out of a turn only lane, especially one that previously was a regular lane?

HomeGuru

bdawg said:
sorry, my question is should i contest the ticket?

did i actually violate any law? everything i've read has stated that the solid single white line i changed lanes over simply means "change lanes with caution".

is a driver not allowed to change lanes out of a turn only lane, especially one that previously was a regular lane?

**A: if the lane did not have dotted lines on your side, then once in the lane, you could not change lanes and should have proceeded to make the right turn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">