• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Needed: Advice on first traffic ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wils

What is the name of your state? Washington

I got a ticket for turning on a red at a busy intersection. I went on yellow (although I have to admit, a late yellow) but the officer saw red when my vehicle was in the intersection. I believe it is RCW 46.61 (055?). I am looking to keep this off my record. Any advice in what to say in court or do would be great.

Thanks,
Wil

sukharev

Well, keep looking...

Seriosly, you don't have any valid defense, so I don't see how you would keep this off your record. You can try to plea-bargain with DA, and hope he offers a deal with no points, but whatever he offers will likely go to your record anyhow (unless it's a parking, equipment failure or tag violation).

Labtec600

Ask the Judge for traffic school.

While when applications and such ask about driving history you will have to disclose it, completion of traffic school will keep the points of and the insurance from rising.

You will still have to pay the ticket and the the price for the school.

racer72

Please do not follow the advice in the above posts, neither of them have a clue about Washington traffic law. Washington does not use points for driving infractions nor is traffic school even offered. What you need to to is contest the citation and ask for a deferral. If granted and most likely it will be, you pay the fine and keep you nose clean for a year and the ticket disappears. If you get another ticket in a year you pay an even bigger fine and both tickets hit your driving record at the same time. Can you say big insurance increase?

Last edited:

sukharev

racer72 said:
Please do not follow the advice in the above posts, neither of them have a clue about Washington traffic law. Washington does not use points for driving infractions nor is traffic school even offered. What you need to to is contest the citation and ask for a deferral. If granted and most likely it will be, you pay the fine and keep you nose clean for a year and the ticket disappears. If you get another ticket in a year you pay an even bigger fine and both tickets hit your driving record at the same time. Can you say big insurance increase?
Sorry, Racer, my bad, I did not know about points. What is used instead?

Aside from that, I think my advice was complementary to yours, and accurate - unless he has a valid defense, he is at DA and judge's mercy. Deferral sounds like a good option, if he can be ticket-free for a year. In that case, nothing will go on the record indeed. Question is, does DA offer that option, or the judge?

racer72

The offer of a deferral is usually presented in the hallway prior to the court session. In Washington, the Dept. of Licensing does not have the authority to suspend driving priveliges, only the courts do. For this reason the state does not need a point system. It is left up the the discression of the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">