• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Negligent Driving 2nd degree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Starter2012

I live in Bonney Lake, WA. I received a negligent driving 2nd degree infraction after an auto accident occured and was told I was receiving it for causing the accident. My question is, will it be easily dropped in my contested hearing due to the officer not being on scene when the accident occurred? I truly feel that the accident was a result of icy/slick conditions and would like to see it dropped.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, let me guess. You were driving along and needed to slow/stop for another vehicle that was stopped in front of you. Unfortunately, due to the slick/icy conditions of the road, you were unable to do so and ended up colliding with the other vehicle. Is that right? Perhaps some of the details are off...but it's mostly right, isn't it?

You are required to drive at a speed that is appropriate for conditions. To do otherwise is negligent. That doesn't mean you didn't anything on purpose...just that you didn't drive in the manner in which you are required to.

racer72

My question is, will it be easily dropped in my contested hearing due to the officer not being on scene when the accident occurred?
Not a chance in heck. Your wrecked vehicle is all the officer needed to determine the ticket was warranted. Officers rarely see accidents happen, just the aftermath.

I truly feel that the accident was a result of icy/slick conditions and would like to see it dropped.
Zigner answered this. You were among many that suffered because the the recent snow storm. Fortunately your ticket will qualify for a deferral if you have a clean driving record. Pay the fine and get no tickets in a year and it goes away. Get another and both hit your record at the same time.

Got my last ticket in Bonney Lake way back in 1979.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">