• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Negligent Driving 2nd Degree - WA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hl3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state

Hi,

I was driving on freeway 405 on right lane, during that time the traffic was not busy, I saw a police car stopped on the curb between the right lane and exit only lane, there isn't any shoulder place. The officer was standing outside and there was a big road cone laying near the road by the police car. Because the cone looks like it will fall into the right lane. So when I passed by it, I slowed down, then the officer looked at me and walked towards me, I thought he wants to stop my car, so I stopped. I remember before I slow down and stop I have looked at the rear mirror and the car behind me was at a far distance.

After I stopped, the car behind me looks like he/she turned his car to the right and hit the road cone. Then the office asked me to pull over on the curb and said I almost made him hit by a car, I wanted to explain to him the situation but he didn't want to listen and said "you don't have to say I was standing here and saw the whole situation", he didn't allow me to say anything, even I try to say something, he said he couldn't listen to me. I was given a ticket for 46.61.525, negligent driving, 2nd degree, fine $550. The officer said my car shouldn't stopped in the middle of the road. The officer asked the car behind me to leave and didn't do anything to that car. There was no accident.

I've never been pulled over before, I'd want to contest this infraction. Is there any chance or ways to get out of this ticket? Do I need to hire a lawyer?

any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

FlyingRon

Not enough information. You should file for discovery and post a redacted copy here of the officer's statement. Then the Washington state experts (I'm not one of them) can tell you what your options are.

hl3

Not enough information. You should file for discovery and post a redacted copy here of the officer's statement. Then the Washington state experts (I'm not one of them) can tell you what your options are.
thanks for your reply

so I need to send in to contest the ticket first? after I get a court date then I can submit a discovery request, is that correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">