• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighborhood Witch (Not Watch)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

It all started months ago when these new people moved in across the street. I live in a cul-de-sac, and they live across the way just before you get to the circle. As you're approaching the circle, they are on your right and I live on the left at the widest part of the circle. Shortly after moving in, the couple had a child. They decided to leave their windows and doors open (being summer) while the baby slept. My brother was younger and dumber then and had a sound system in his car. He was careful never to blare the system during hours when the noise ordinance was in effect. This did not stop this woman from coming out and screaming at him for his stereo on several occaisions. She has also yelled at my neighbor's boyfriend for playing his radio too loud. My brother, being young and stupid, ignored her and I assume she was told that as long as he was not breaking the law, police officers could not do anything to him.

Fast forward a few months. My brother now owns a Honda Civic SI (4 cylander race car basically). It is stick shift. This woman (along with her next door neighbor who is usually seen stumbling down the street with an open 12 pack) have called the police and complained that he is speeding down the street and that she fears for the life of her baby. The officer informed my brother that because "so many people are complaining about him, the next time he is called with a complaint of speeding, he will issue a citation without having to actually see the law being broken." My question is... Is that legal?? If I complain enough about someone, can I have a police officer issue a citation without having to witness the law being broken? They've already had my brother drive his car to the police station so they could make sure he hasn't modified it in any way to make it faster. The officer in question tried to say the factory installed tailpipe was illegal. (My brother advised him to write the citation if he felt that way and the counter-suit would be fast in coming.- He declined to write the ticket.)

I have taken to driving down the street at 10 mph or slower now so that they can't say anything about my speed. This apparently enraged them further, because when they backed out of their driveway as I went by, they decided to back up alongside my car, which I felt was rather reckless driving, and ask me if I had a problem. More to come when I get home, but is there a speed minimum in a 25 mph zone? I can't be charged with obstructing traffic as there was no one behind me, but I'm curious.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">