• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new driver to the US/danger to society!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimosavi

What is the name of your state?
New Jersey

I was driving in a parking lot to get a parking spot (the place was car-packed) and some pedestrians as well. I reduced speed in a STOP sign but did not completely stop, then made a turn into a drive way to go to the parking lot to get a spot.

I was ticketed for two things. One wreckless driving, since he says that I did not stop in the stop sign (true) but I speed into the driveway to get the spot (not true) and put the live of many citizen in danger (dramatic isn't it?).

The other was for not having the correct documentation. I am from out of country and I have a valid license from another country and I am in the process of completing my valid US license (I have a permit, waiting for the driving test), Usually I don't drive, my wife does, and she has a valid License.

The permit I have has a driver's ID number (license number, start with D01234...) when the officer Issued the ticket (both) he did not include this number and said that I don't have a driver's license (they told me I can drive with this permit with a someone that has a valid license).

another thing is that the car I was driving it's a friend of ours, since ours was in the shop. So the insurance and all other documents are under his name and I am not included in the policy.

no fine was issue at the place, I have to go to court to settle the matter.

are this ticket invalid since the information is missing?
how much could this cost me? (worst case scenario)
will they issue point to my license? (even if it is a permit?)
this is the first time I get a fine and I drive in the state, will they consider that I am still in process?

the only charge I know I am guilty of is not stopping on the STOP sign (for what I unwillinly will pay), but all other charges I am not guilty of.

what is my case here?

justalayman

Unless there was another licensed driver in the car with you, you are guilty of driving without a license.

the ticket (both) he did not include this number and said that I don't have a driver's license (they told me I can drive with this permit with a someone that has a valid license).

A permit is just that and you have to follow the rules that go along with that. As far as points towards your license. that I don't know but I suspect they may be able to refuse you a license at all.

kimosavi

Thank you for you reply.

What will be your best suggestion for me to confront this situation?

I have been calling to schedule a driving test (even though I have been driving for 15 years out of country) but they are booked.

there is no know i know there can validate my Out of Country DL (Dom. Rep.). I showed the police man this license and the license is valid. I told him I am on the processes of getting the full license and until then I was driving with both my OC DL and my Permit.

what should I bright to the judge to make this smoother on my side?

sukharev

There is no way to make it "smoother", it is what it is. Your old DL is not recognized in US, unless it's an INTERNATIONAL license (there is such a thing, but you have to get it before coming to US). This is done for a good reason, otherwise anybody could just come to US and drive with papers nobody can verify.

I suspect that the court would not be able to assess any points, and you may get lucky and DA would offer you to dismiss DL charge (since you do have a valid permit), and just pay the stop sign violation. But, it's not guaranteed. Good Luck.

Now you know that when it says "STOP" it means "STOP".

kimosavi

now what?!

I when to the judge for my citation. I prepare a full folder, with photos, copies, diagrams, all i could to show my case to the judge, explain my situation and see what could be the outcome. the judge had not arrived yet, there was a cop officer calling out names, when he reached mine he asked me out loud "guilty" or "not guilty". out of the blue I am trying to explain what happens and I have my reason and my opinion if i was driving "wreckless" or not.

so I should "not guilty". he then did not let me explain the other case about my license and he says "go home, we will inform you by mail". I left the court. By The way, the cop that gave me the ticket was not there.

to my self i said "what!?" I was supposed to fight my case, talk about my situation and so we all can come out with a resolution. but I had no change to do that.

What happens now? will I get a sum to pay? will I have another change to go to a judge and talk my case? will they dismiss the ticket?

please give me some advice in what to do next?

justalayman

You plead not guilty, correct. They will contact you with an actual court (trial) date where you get to use all your evidence.

kimosavi

summons and D/L

I got summons for the court now. I don't have much stuff on my behalf other than some photos I took of the area and some designs I made.

when the ticket happend I gave the police my Dom. Rep. License (The only thing I have from here was a receipt of the driver's permit) so he said my DR license not good to drive.

I just rented a van and I asked them if It is ok to give my DR license since I only have a copy of the permit and they accepted. They even said that is common for people that are on the process of getting a license to use their's meanwhile the other one is issued.

so why the police said my license is no good?

I also tried to get the road test but I did not know I have to take a 5hour class video, i don't know where to take this video and now I have to reschedure the road test and usually it takes at least a month to get it.

I understand the process of getting a license is strict and that you need to enforce security issues, but my, my this is driving me nuts!.

now what should I bring to the judge. the only thing valid to drive right now is my DR license, but police does not accept this.

what other stuff I should bring?

JD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">