• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Orleans ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Misery

What is the name of your state? Missouri.
I was ticketed for going the wrong way on a one way street in New Orleans last July. I honestly looked for a sign, as my daughter had told me many of them are missing, but to drive very carefully since the NOPD was ticketing for every little thing. (the city needs revenue). I drove ONE block on the street, no other moving car in sight, before I turned off it. I feel I was ticketed unfairly, being a visitor from out of state and the fact that it was a very honest mistake that did not result in a dangerous situation.
The officer was extremely rude and argumentative and ranted at me for over 10 minutes about my car's inspection being expired, when, in fact, it was not. We had the documents to prove it and he finally gave up on that. The copy of the ticket I received was so faint, it was very difficult to read it, so he had to darken in the offense code and the court date.
I followed the instructions on the back of the ticket in an attempt to pay it. I the website for weeks to try to find any evidence of this ticket, but it never showed up. I tried to use the 800 and it just rang and rang for minutes on end.
I did file a grievance with the Office of Integrity about the officer's lack of professionalism and received both a phone call asking for additional information and a letter telling me my claim could not be substantiated one way or the other. The officer I spoke to on the phone told me the web site and phone systems were probably still down but he really didn't know anything about that end of the process.
So, I check again yesterday, and find I'm now in contempt of court for failing to show up on the court date. Another $100 plus the $181 fine.
I live in Missouri. Can I have my 21 year old daughter appear in court to plead not guilty for me if I go ahead and request a court date?

seniorjudge

Q: Can I have my 21 year old daughter appear in court to plead not guilty for me if I go ahead and request a court date?

A: No, but why? You admitted you broke the law so just pay the ticket.

Pugilist

Hit them where it hurts

NO has always been crooked. Now it's disorganized too. You probably can't get anywhere through their courts.

But you can get even. Post your story on travel website, forums, and the MO auto club. Do letters to the editor. If you really want to torture the city, let them know that you will be putting up a few posts and/or letters each week. But you can't say that you will stop if they give you your money back. That is extortion, I think.

Aruba is the reason that I think this approach could work. (The Natelee disappearance.) You may have noticed that Aruba has ads on TV now, saying "Come back to Aruba."

Some potential visitors reading your posts-to-be may think that it won't be a problem for them, since they are not going to be driving in NO. So, you may want to suggest that given the sad state of the NOPD and the courts, how do we know that Third World conditions aren't prevailing in other essential services such as the health department (inspects restaurants) and the hospitals (in case of heart attack or injury).

Pug

Last edited:

seniorjudge

What she's talking about happened in the French Quarter. The signs are horrible.

But there are cops in every block.

Most of the time, they just want traffic to move. If Misery got a ticket, she did something unusual to attract attention.

Never attract attention in the Quarter....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">