• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Teen Driving law (illinios)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Imberto

Illinios

Hello, i'm a 18 year old guy and i go to college. I've gotten two speeding tickets, one my first year of driving (16) and one this year (18) 23 months apart. Which i guess is a new law saying that i can lose my license for a month. But i never knew about this law. And not even the cop told me about it. So a car bumps into me yesterday and i get a 300 fine for driving without a license. And this is the first time i'm hearing about any of this. I was never told, no mail ever reached either my dorm or my house. and i don't even know what the new ticket will do. I'm wondering if there is anyway i can fight it, since i was never informed of the new law, or the fact my license is invalid.

I_Got_Banned

There is no requirement for the state to personally notify you of new laws... Instead, the burden is upon you to keep yourself educated of what may or may not affect you.

As the saying goes, "Ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it".

As for your license being "invalid", do you mean you license was "suspended" due to the fat that you received 2 citations within the 23 month period? If that is the case the I would suggest that you check to make sure that your address is current with the DMV... If it is not, it might explain why you never received notice of the suspension.

FlyingRon

Besides, he wasn't ignorant of the fact he was committing the violations, just ignorant of the magnitude of the sanctions he would face for repeated transgressions.

30 days ain't that long of a time, just don't be caught driving while suspended.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
After getting two speeds in a relatively short time you could use the 90 days to re-evaluate your driving and your priorities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">