• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New York - 111 mph in a 65 mph

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

furn1593

Average speed on highway was high 70's low 80's that night - was passing some tractor trailers that were in the right lane and got clocked at 111mph. when the trooper caught up to me I was doing 81 mph. Awaiting a court date after pleading not guilty. Looking for advice of how to minimize the impact on my life and my wallet. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

Just Blue

Average speed on highway was high 70's low 80's that night - was passing some tractor trailers that were in the right lane and got clocked at 111mph. when the trooper caught up to me I was doing 81 mph. Awaiting a court date after pleading not guilty. Looking for advice of how to minimize the impact on my life and my wallet. Thanks in advance...
Per your posting you were going over 20 MPH over the avg speed. Lucky you didn't kill someone.

LdiJ

I echo the advice to hire an attorney. Yeah, that is expensive but that kind of ticket is going to hurt in many different ways, for a long time. You were more than 15 miles over the speed limit AFTER you slowed down. Average speed doesn't matter at that point. The hike in your insurance rates will likely last longer than it would cost to pay the attorney.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
That speed will result is an automatic suspension of your license as well as a pretty hefty driver responsibility assessment in addition to whatever fine the judge imposes.

What court is adjudicating this case?

My guess is that even with an attorney the court will be very restrictive about any plea they accept with a speed this high.

FlyingRon

Further average speed means nothing in NY (hell it doesn't even mean anything in California except in places where the speed trap rule applies).
We're talking about driving TWICE the speed limit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">