• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New York In-Transit Permit Expiration Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaknand

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: NY and NJ
Hi,
I purchased a Honda Civic last week on 06/25/15 from a New York dealer.
As I stay in NJ the vehicle will have to be registered in NJ so the dealer gave me a NY In-transit permit to take the vehicle home.
He told me that this In-transit permit is good for a month and I should receive my permanent plates by then.
But when today I checked the in-transit permit the expiration date is also mentioned as 06.25.2015. I googled a bit and found that NY in-transit permits are valid for 1 month but then my questions are
1) Has the in-transit certificate I have has already expired?

2) If yes, then can dealer amend it to change the expiration date?

3) If no, then will I not be able to drive this vehicle on the roads at all till I get the plates?
Please help.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The vehicle is unregistered. Your registration has expired. If you drive it you can be ticketed and towed.

I don't believe the dealership can issue another tag to the same vehicle, but you'd have to call the dealership to find out for sure.

I don't know why a New York dealership is telling you that you should be getting your NJ plates in the mail. You are supposed to get a title for the vehicle and then register it at NJ DMV. To the best of my knowledge, a New York dealer will have NO relationship with NJ DMV and doesn't send any documents directly there.

You need to find out from the dealership exactly what the process is for getting your vehicle registered out of state.

In New York, a dealership issues the New York plates and a temp registration sticker. Each dealership has a pool of plates that they issue from. Once the plates are issued the dealership transmits the information electronically to DMV in Albany and the DMV then mails you your registration sticker and receipt. For a vehicle that is destined to be registered out of state the dealership only issues the in-transit tag and nothing else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">