• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nitrous oxide, license plates, performance cars, and other crazy questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pete2k_Z28

I just have a few questions on some motor vehicle statuates in New Jersey. First, what are the regulations for cars equiped with Nitrous Oxide? For street driving, does the bottle have to be only closed, or completely unhooked while in the vehicle? Also, what about front license plates? If the car was not originally equiped with a front plate bracket, is one required? And finally, what is the decibel limitation for exhaust noise? I have searched the NJ state legislature page, and could not find those statuates. Does anybody have the answer, or know somewhere else they can refer me to find them?

Thanks in advance for anybodys help.

Pete

S

suzookigirl

from what my fast car friends tell me, in NY, the bottle needs to be disconnected. NJ is probably the same. another thing you can do is set it up with a valve to empty it if youre getting pulled over...wastefull, but usefull. they told me that if its empty and you werent driving totally recklessly, you usually dont get too harrassed. as for the front plate, again this is NY, probably the same in NJ- yes, you need one. again, if your not being a jerk to the cop, they usually dont bother you for it. depends alot on your driving and attitude i think.

racer72

NOX is not a legal motor fuel for public roads in the U.S. It is for off road use only. The bottle, by law, may only be transported in an upright position with a protective cap in place. A friend received a $325 ticket when he left his bottle in his Viper, $50 for the unapproved fuel and $275 for transporting a flammable gas in an unapproved manner.
If your state issued two license plates, 2 are required. U.S. law requires license plates holder front and back on all new cars sold in the U.S. If you bought the car new, go back to the dealer, if you bought it used, the previous owner removed it, go to the dealer and buy a new one.
Exhaust noise is generally covered by local statutes, not state laws. Check with your local police department.

Military Dad

50 for the unapproved fuel and $275 for transporting a flammable gas in an unapproved manner.

I carry nitrous oxide in my car (Yes, I’m a gear head).
Two things I know for sure are:
1. Nitrous oxide is NOT FLAMABLE
2. Most Nitrous bottles are D.O.T. approved

No flame intended, I’m trying to figure out the laws on this subject also. I just can’t figure out why NO2 should be illegal?

N

NITSUD007

FRONT PLATE

WHAT THE OTHER GUY SAID ABOUT FRONT PLATE IS NOT TRUE.YES A FRONT PLATE IS REQUIRED BY LAW, BUT IF THERE IS NOT A BRACKET INSTALLED THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT SOMEONE PULLED IT OFF.DEALERS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO SELL EQUIPED THAT WAY, THE OWNER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT.I JUST BOUGHT A 2002 CAMAROIN LOS ANGELES .THE DEALER GAVE ME THE OPTION TO HAVE A FRONT PLATE, SINCE I PAYED EXTRA $ FOR A SPECIAL GRILL WHICH WOULD BE BLOCKED, I DECLINED.THE ONLY TIME YOU WILL RECEIVE A FIX IT TICKET FOR THAT IS IF YOU ARE ALREADY BEING STOPPED FOR SOMETHING ELSE.YOU CAN TIE A PLATE ON WITH TWINE & SHOW THE DMV & THEN TAKE IT OFF. I HAVE DONE IT.

N

NITSUD007

NOS NOT FLAMMABLE??

NOS NOT FLAMMABLE??? YOU ARE SMOKING CRACK BUDDY!! NO ONE HERE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. I HAVE SEEN 2 VEHICLES COMPLETELY IGNITE & EXPLODE FROM NOS.CHECK YOUR FACTS AGAIN!!

Military Dad

NOS NOT FLAMMABLE??? YOU ARE SMOKING CRACK BUDDY!! NO ONE HERE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. I HAVE SEEN 2 VEHICLES COMPLETELY IGNITE & EXPLODE FROM NOS.CHECK YOUR FACTS AGAIN!!

Nitrous oxide by itself is non-flammable. However, the oxygen present in nitrous oxide causes combustion of fuel to take place more rapidly.

Nitrous oxide is comprised of 2 parts nitrogen and one part oxygen (36% oxygen by weight). When the nitrous oxide is heated to approximately 572F (on compression stroke), it breaks down and release extra oxygen, However, it is not this oxygen alone which creates additional power, but the ability of this oxygen to burn more fuel. By burning more fuel, higher cylinder pressures are created and this is where most of the additional power is realized.

Nitrous oxide is an “oxidizer” not a “flammable”.

I suggest YOU check your facts again.

Last edited:
B

baggedblazer

RE: NITROUS OXIDE

I used to have Nitrous in my blazer. First of all...it is NON FLAMMABLE>....it says it all over the bottle. the main way that it boosts power is that it is sooo cold that it cools your intake charge, creating more power like a turbo or supercharger would do. when its combined with the fuel it Oxidizes it, causing it to burn hotter and faster, but is NOT flammable. As far as being legal.....as far as i know as long as you have a blowoff valve on it so it will empty if it gets to too much psi, it is perfectly legal to have in the car hooked up, as long as the valve is not open. I was pulled over a few times with my bottle full and mounted in my truck and did not get a ticket. The only negative side effect of NOS is that if you happen to get rearended and the bottle is punctured, u can kiss your ass good bye, because it is like a 1500 psi grenade going off. Also if anyone says it hurts your engine...that is BS....as long as you use it at full throttle above 2500 rpm and at about 1000 psi.....it doesnt hurt anything. the jackasses that dont read the instructions are the ones who blow up the engine or throw rods and blow seals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">