• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ careless driving ticket with NY license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xuebaoht

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey.

Hi, I got a careless driving ticket in NJ, while I have a NY license. When I went to pay for the ticket online, I noticed my last name is spelled incorrectly in the online system. My last name contains a 'g', but 'g' is misspelled to a 'y' in the online system, this makes me wonder should i go fight the ticket? Considering the tolls to NJ, and the ticket is $85, it would only make sense if I can get it dismissed completely. Otherwise, if my chance of having it completely dismissed is slim, missing a day of work wouldn't be worth it. However, the handwritten ticket I received does look like the officer wrote a 'g'. It could be when the clerk or cop entered the ticket into the system, the 'g' was incorrectly entered as a 'y'. Or is it possible that the cop entered my name wrong to begin with? Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

It really doesn't matter where the error occurred. You've got plenty of identifying information (DL #, mostly correct spelling, address) that will allow the ticket to be matched up with your drivers record.

Do you have some defense other than your name is spelled wrong?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">