• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ driver speeding in Mechanicsburg, PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slit53

What is the name of your state? NJ

In Mechanicsburg PA on Route 15, I was clocked, by radar, traveling at 77mph in a 55mph zone. In NJ that would amount to 4 points. Do speeding tickets in PA get transferred to NJ with points added to my NJ license?

I want to plead not guilty with the hope of either lowering the speed (I don't think I was going that fast) or especially eliminating the points (assuming the points get transferred to NJ). Do I have a chance in Mechanicsburg at a just paying a fine without getting NJ points?

The ticket says to plead not guilty, I must also send in the fine. Is this really necessary, or should I just plead not guilty without sending money.

JETX

In Mechanicsburg PA on Route 15, I was clocked, by radar, traveling at 77mph in a 55mph zone. In NJ that would amount to 4 points. Do speeding tickets in PA get transferred to NJ with points added to my NJ license?
NJ belongs to two interstate compacts. One is a Non-resident Violator Compact, this requires, among other things, drivers to fulfill the terms of traffic citations received in member states or face the possibility of license suspension in their home state. The second is the National Driver License Compact which allows member states to exchange violation information with other states.

These compacts allow member states to transfer information between department of vehicles (DMVs) to ensure driver compliance with the law and that they receive penalties for violation. Pennsylvania is also part of these two compacts so information about your PA speeding ticket will be reported to New Jersey. New Jersey states that out of state violations become part of your NJ driving record and that 2 points are assessed for each out-of-state moving violation.

Since this ticket will be on your NJ driving record, it could affect your insurance rates depending on how your insurance company determines their rates.

Do I have a chance in Mechanicsburg at a just paying a fine without getting NJ points?
No one can answer that... as it is very unlikely for anyone here to have any specific experience with that court. Take your chances just like everyone else.

The ticket says to plead not guilty, I must also send in the fine. Is this really necessary, or should I just plead not guilty without sending money.
Of course you don't have to follow the rules. They are made for everyone else. :eek:

slit53

You said that, "New Jersey states that out of state violations become part of your NJ driving record and that 2 points are assessed for each out-of-state moving violation." Are yousaying that a 22mph violation in PA is worth only 2 points in NJ, whereas in NJ it would get me 4 points? If that is true, then maybe I'll just pay and get it over with.

NJ belongs to two interstate compacts. One is a Non-resident Violator Compact, this requires, among other things, drivers to fulfill the terms of traffic citations received in member states or face the possibility of license suspension in their home state. The second is the National Driver License Compact which allows member states to exchange violation information with other states.

These compacts allow member states to transfer information between department of vehicles (DMVs) to ensure driver compliance with the law and that they receive penalties for violation. Pennsylvania is also part of these two compacts so information about your PA speeding ticket will be reported to New Jersey. New Jersey states that out of state violations become part of your NJ driving record and that 2 points are assessed for each out-of-state moving violation.

Since this ticket will be on your NJ driving record, it could affect your insurance rates depending on how your insurance company determines their rates.

No one can answer that... as it is very unlikely for anyone here to have any specific experience with that court. Take your chances just like everyone else.

Of course you don't have to follow the rules. They are made for everyone else. :eek:

cepe10

In MD lately everyone who appears gets probation before judgment (PBJ) - I think it is worth your while to appear and see what happens.

You also have the option of challenging the radar unit was used..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">