• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Failure to Yield Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JYC

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was pulled over a few weeks ago at a yield sign coming off of exit 15A on Rt.18-S in the Tinton Falls area. What happened was I had my signal on to enter the main road off the ramp. I braked to let one car by and merged into the traffic like I normally would have. Unfortunately for me, a police officer happened to be the person I merged in front of. So of course being a police, he didn't let me in and honked the horn and pulled me over.

When he walked up to my window he told me that it was a "yield" and not a "merge". I remained courteous and professional throughout the process. I understand that on technicality he had the right of way and it was my fault. However, is there anyway to convert this to a no-point offense without a lawyer? I've never gotten a ticket before, so I'm not sure how plea agreements work. If anyone has any advice or experiences they would like to share I would be most greatful.

Thank you for your time.

lwpat

NJ has a deal where you pay an extra 250 and it does not go on your record. The clerk of court can tell you. And they say it is not about the money!

JYC

lwpat said:
NJ has a deal where you pay an extra 250 and it does not go on your record. The clerk of court can tell you. And they say it is not about the money!
Are you serious? That is really worth it since insurance would definately go up significantly more than that with two points on my license. How do I go about it? I've never been to court before. Sorry for asking again, but will I be able to manage without a lawyer?

Thank you for responding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">