• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CHNBTD

I was pulled over on Saturday, Jan. 28th at 7AM in West Windsor Township, NJ, I live in and have a PA license. I was the second of two cars. The car in front of me was flying down the road when I saw the cop on the side. The cop pulled out, and got behind the other car. He made him pull over and ended up pulling me over as well. To make a long story short, he handed me a court summons, and marked me down at going 91 in a 55. I WAS NOT GOING 91 MPH. When I saw the cop I looked at my speedometer and it read between 70-75. Granted it's still speeding, but at that speed I wouldn't be facing 5 points, a huge fine and possible loss of license. Is it at all possible for me to go to court on my own and not end up being found guilty of going 91 mph? Also, on the ticket he circled the wrong time of day (PM instead of AM) and he never checked off what equipment he used to get my speed (radar, helicopter, etc) Can that make a difference in my "case"? Please help, I just called a lawyer who said he'd charge $400. I'm damn near dirt poor; I can't afford that, plus court costs and penalties. :( Will I really have to hire a lawyer??

Last edited:

speed899

Do not hire an attorney.

Right now I would just go to court and fight the ticket and request no points on your license. Tell the judge or DA that you were not going 91mph and that you simply do not want the points. They will charge you extra fines but you will not get the points and then they will just give you a long song and you will agree. NJ only wants your money and radar is never 100% regardless of what the cop said. You also can admit you were speeding to the judge and just tell them you are guilty but not going 91mph in any way.

If the judge fries you then hire an attorney. I can tell you that in every case I have had then they always want money and never care about the rest.

sukharev

With PA license, you may be fine (I think PA would not get your speeding ticket on record, but not 100% sure). Check with PennDot to be sure. In the meantime, 91 is a big violation, and is unlikely to be just dismissed or reduced to non-moving violation. I would suggest trying to find any technicalities you can defend on (after requesting discovery). With any luck, radar forks would not be calibrated, or, if it's lidar/laser, DA would not have an expert witness as required by NJ caselaw.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">