• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Speeding Ticket Material Defect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bromsby

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I was pulled over on I-495 (50 MPH zone), and the officer claimed he clocked me at 67 MPH. I saw the speed trap and looked at my speedometer as I passed the police car and was only going 45-50 MPH. However, defending on this basis seems unlikely to work (though it can't hurt to try).

The ticket itself does not seem to have any violations selected on it. The only thing written in the OFFENSES area is RADAR - 5182 or perhaps S182. The court web site says I am being charged with going 20-24 MPH over the speed limit (39:4-98 .24 Speeding (.24 Indicates Exceeding By 20-24 Mph)). This of course doesn't even match with what the officer told me.

What is the best way to handle this?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I was pulled over on I-495 (50 MPH zone), and the officer claimed he clocked me at 67 MPH. I saw the speed trap and looked at my speedometer as I passed the police car and was only going 45-50 MPH. However, defending on this basis seems unlikely to work (though it can't hurt to try).
That would appear to be pretty meaningless. You have no idea how accurate your speedometer is plus you don't know where you were when your speed was locked in. In all likelihood you were locked in well before you were passing the officer. You may not even have seen him or noticed him and it was already too late.

The ticket itself does not seem to have any violations selected on it. The only thing written in the OFFENSES area is RADAR - 5182 or perhaps S182. The court web site says I am being charged with going 20-24 MPH over the speed limit (39:4-98 .24 Speeding (.24 Indicates Exceeding By 20-24 Mph)). This of course doesn't even match with what the officer told me.
The officer isn't held to writing you what he told you. Many times service copies are of poor quality and hard to read compared to the original tickets. It does not appear that you have any basis to say that the ticket is defective in any way at this time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">