• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Ticket - Misspelled Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slin1117

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am actually a resident of MD and was ticketed this past Saturday morning on the NJ Turnpike for speeding and reckless driving. The statutes were 19:9-20 (I can't really read his writing) and 39:4-96 respectively. From what I can see, I do not receive points on the speeding ticket. However, for the reckless driving, I receive 5 points.

I have had a clean driving record ever since I received my license, or 13 years roughly. He indicated that I was weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating at 90 mph.

This is the first time I have ever driven on the NJ Turnpike (I was there for a wedding). The advice that people said was that you always drive on the right lane and keep the left clear. So I was basically following with the flow of traffic and passing on the left and then moving back over to the right lane. I guess I can understand how he can see that as weaving in any other states - but isn't that what people are supposed to do? I also do not believe I was tailgating, because they were certainly other cars (particularly NJ-plated cars) that were aggressive. I at least always had a car length between my car and the car ahead.

The other issue is that he spelled my name incorrectly on both tickets. He basically left off a letter at the end of my first name. Is this maybe a technicality that I can use?

I really would appreciate any advice that you may be able to provide? I am not so worried about the fine as I am about the points. Since I have a clean record, this is really upsetting - especially since I was really just following my friends' advice of passing on the left and driving on the right and to always just follow the flow. My court date is set on July 21.

racer72

Nothing in your post suggests the tickets were not warranted, the errors do not make the tickets invalid. I would suggest talking to a local attorney and discussing the options available to you.

I at least always had a car length between my car and the car ahead.
Unless you were driving 10mph or less, this is tailgating. Proper following distance is one car length for ever 10 mph. If you were driving 60 mph, you should have be at least 6 car lengths behind the car in front of you.

slin1117

Thank you very much for your response - I'd rather honest and grim responses and be prepared for the worst.

Do you have any advice as to where to obtain an attorney? What I should look for or where I can find referrals? Sorry if these questions sound naive - this is my first experience and the tickets are so severe so it's really intimidating. No one I know really knows how to assist me with this either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">