• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ - Which is worse? 39:3-4 Unregistered vehicle OR 39:3-29 Failure to exhibit Reg

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrflip99

I would like to know which NJ traffic violation is worse in regards to points/insurance rate increase: Violation 39:3-4 Unregistered vehicle OR Violation 39:3-29 Failure to exhibit documents [registration]. I know 3-4 is $54 fine and 3-29 is about $180. I've heard of 39:3-4 being "downgraded" to 39:3-29, but HOW is it a downgrade/in what way is this better? thanks in advance.

I got a ticket for Violation 39:3-4 Unregistered vehicle and got it renewed 2 days after the ticket. Registration has been expired for about 22 days. I'm thinking of fighting it if turns out that the 39:3-29 is better (if not dismissed, i will request for downgrade).

I would like to know which NJ traffic violation is worse in regards to points/insurance rate increase: Violation 39:3-4 Unregistered vehicle OR Violation 39:3-29 Failure to exhibit documents [registration]. I know 3-4 is $54 fine and 3-29 is about $180. I've heard of 39:3-4 being "downgraded" to 39:3-29, but HOW is it a downgrade/in what way is this better? thanks in advance.

I got a ticket for Violation 39:3-4 Unregistered vehicle and got it renewed 2 days after the ticket. Registration has been expired for about 22 days. I'm thinking of fighting it if turns out that the 39:3-29 is better (if not dismissed, i will request for downgrade).
Fighting it is a waste of your time. Your vehicle was unregistered at the time you received the citation. :rolleyes:

sandyclaus

How do you plan on having the 39:3-4 downgraded to 3:29? The documents that you failed to produce didn't exist at the time that the ticket was issued.

I will say, however, that the judge MIGHT end up dismissing your case if you present a renewed registration document in court. You might save the fine, but you'd still end up paying the court costs.

Neither offense is one that will add points to your license. As far as insurance is concerned, I can't speak to that - but if it is determined that you drove without a valid registration for ANY period of time, that could cause your insurance company to non-renew your policy.

mrflip99

How do you plan on having the 39:3-4 downgraded to 3:29? The documents that you failed to produce didn't exist at the time that the ticket was issued.

I will say, however, that the judge MIGHT end up dismissing your case if you present a renewed registration document in court. You might save the fine, but you'd still end up paying the court costs.

Neither offense is one that will add points to your license. As far as insurance is concerned, I can't speak to that - but if it is determined that you drove without a valid registration for ANY period of time, that could cause your insurance company to non-renew your policy.
Thanks Sandyclaus for ACTUALLY answering my question. Based on the info you provided, it seems that 3-29 wouldn't even be a "downgrade" since neither violation adds points to your license.

Dillon

Fighting it is a waste of your time. Your vehicle was unregistered at the time you received the citation. :rolleyes:
its my understanding, only vehicles used in transportation need to be registered, WOW

What is TRANSPORTATION?
The removal of goods or persons from one place to another, by a carrier. See Railroad Co. v. Pratt, 22 Wall. 133, 22 L. Ed. 827; Interstate Commerce Coin’n v. Brimson, 154 U. S. 4 17. 14 Sup. Ct. 1125, 38 L. Ed. .1047; Gloucester Ferry Co. v. Pennsylvania, 114 U. S. 100, 5 Sup. Ct. S26, 29 L. Ed. 158.

OHRoadwarrior

Which is wrong. Your welcome.

its my understanding, only vehicles used in transportation need to be registered, WOW

What is TRANSPORTATION?
The removal of goods or persons from one place to another, by a carrier. See Railroad Co. v. Pratt, 22 Wall. 133, 22 L. Ed. 827; Interstate Commerce Coin’n v. Brimson, 154 U. S. 4 17. 14 Sup. Ct. 1125, 38 L. Ed. .1047; Gloucester Ferry Co. v. Pennsylvania, 114 U. S. 100, 5 Sup. Ct. S26, 29 L. Ed. 158.

proud_parent

New Jersey Statutes - Title 39 Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation
39:3-4. Except as hereinafter provided, every resident of this State and every nonresident whose automobile or motorcycle shall be driven in this State shall, before using such vehicle on the public highways, register the same, and no automobile or motorcycle shall be driven unless so registered.
Where might one find support for your assertion that the above applies only to vehicles used in transportation?

(I won't hold my breath.)

Dillon

Where might one find support for your assertion that the above applies only to vehicles used in transportation?

(I won't hold my breath.)
TITLE 39 MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATION

39:1-1 Words and phrases defined.

39:1-1. As used in this subtitle, unless other me"Motor vehicle (equipment)" includes all vehicles propelled otherwise than by muscular power, excepting such vehicles as run only upon rails or tracks and motorized bicycles.

"Motor vehicle equipment" includes all vehicles propelled otherwise than by muscular power, excepting such vehicles as run only upon rails or tracks and motorized bicycles.

"Passenger automobile" means all automobiles used and designed for the transportation of passengers, other than omnibuses and school buses.

"Truck" means every motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property

"Vehicle" means every device in, upon or by which a person or property is or may be transported upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or motorized bicycles.

again, What is TRANSPORTATION?

Last edited:

proud_parent

TITLE 39 MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATION

39:1-1 Words and phrases defined.

39:1-1. As used in this subtitle, unless other me"Motor vehicle" includes all vehicles propelled otherwise than by muscular power, excepting such vehicles as run only upon rails or tracks and motorized bicycles.

"Motor vehicle" includes all vehicles propelled otherwise than by muscular power, excepting such vehicles as run only upon rails or tracks and motorized bicycles.

"Passenger automobile" means all automobiles used and designed for the transportation of passengers, other than omnibuses and school buses.

"Truck" means every motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property

"Vehicle" means every device in, upon or by which a person or property is or may be transported upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or motorized bicycles.

again, What is TRANSPORTATION?

Ah...

Finding absolutely no support for your interpretation within the text of NJ Title 39, you then switched to quoting Black's Law Dictionary out of context.

Gotcha. :rolleyes:

proud_parent

I'm thinking Dillon could do with a bit of transportation himself...

In criminal law. A species of punishment consisting in removing the criminal from his own country to another, (usually a penal colony.) there to remain in exile for a prescribed period. Fong Yue Ting v. U. S., 149 U. S. 698, 13 Sup. Ct. 1016, 37 L. Ed. 005.
Law Dictionary: http://thelawdictionary.org/transportation/#ixzz2jpvz6uT9

Dillon

I'm thinking Dillon could do with a bit of transportation himself...
"It's going to take an act of God to get this to happen. People have to agree this is a high priority, there has to be consensus from local leaders and residents, and we need to see some tremendous leadership from the DOT (Department of Transportation), as well as perhaps some changes to the Constitution, to make this a reality." LOL

Last edited:

proud_parent

"It's going to take an act of God to get this to happen. People have to agree this is a high priority, there has to be consensus from local leaders and residents, and we need to see some tremendous leadership from the DOT (Department of Transportation), as well as perhaps some changes to the Constitution, to make this a reality." LOL
Having fun with the ol' Google machine there, Dillon?

Original quote from August 2005, after a transit study contemplating the need for mass transit routes connecting Ann Arbor and Detroit:
It's going to take an act of God to get this to happen," said Keith Schneider, a mass transit advocate and deputy director of the Michigan Land Use Institute. "People have to agree this is a high priority, there has to be consensus from local leaders and residents, and we need to see some tremendous leadership from the MDOT (Michigan Department of Transportation), as well as perhaps some changes to the Michigan Constitution, to make this a reality.
As with everything Dillon posts, I've no clue how this pertains to OP's question about New Jersey vehicle registration laws. But if the good people of Michigan could find a way to exile Dillon to a penal colony, they'd have my support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">