• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Distinctive Plate/Insecure/Dirty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Garconis

I live in NY state, and just recieved a ticket for "No Distinctive Plate/Insecure/Dirty". We require front license plates here, and mine was on the dashboard (clearly visible from the outside).

Anyways, does anyone know how much this ticket will set me back, and how many points it might add to my license?

You Are Guilty

Garconis said:
I live in NY state, and just recieved a ticket for "No Distinctive Plate/Insecure/Dirty". We require front license plates here, and mine was on the dashboard (clearly visible from the outside).

Anyways, does anyone know how much this ticket will set me back, and how many points it might add to my license?
That's s.402 of the VTL:
§402. Distinctive number; form of number plates; trailers.
1. No person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public
highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive
number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates
issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter
if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration
conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such
vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging
and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight
inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground...
Offically, the ticket can range from $25 to $200, but I believe it's a $55 ticket in NYC, with no points (not a moving violation).

Garconis

You Are Guilty said:
That's s.402 of the VTL:

Offically, the ticket can range from $25 to $200, but I believe it's a $55 ticket in NYC, with no points (not a moving violation).
Thanks. Any chance of telling me where you got that info?

You Are Guilty

Garconis said:
Thanks. Any chance of telling me where you got that info?
The range is straight from the statute (402). You can probably confirm the lack of points from the DMV website, but equipment violations ("fix-it" tickets) and red light camera tickets are non-point violations.

The guesstimate of the actual cost is based on what I paid about 5-6 years ago when I got a similar ticket for having a plastic cover on my front plate :)

S

seniorjudge

The cops are getting nasty about this because dopers and such like to muddy up their tags so the cops can't read them.

qcxlvr1

As was posted previously, in NYC it's $55. It may be higher in some of the smaller municipalities. There are no points associated with this violation.

Garconis

qcxlvr1 said:
As was posted previously, in NYC it's $55. It may be higher in some of the smaller municipalities. There are no points associated with this violation.
Alright, sweet, that's good news. How come he just didn't tell me to fix it then? He just gave me a ticket and told me what to do. On the NY DMV site it says 2 points for all other moving violations. Are you guys sure this isn't a moving violation? I'm just curious as to why he didn't tell me to just fix it...

CdwJava

Garconis said:
I'm just curious as to why he didn't tell me to just fix it...
Probably because most people choose NOT to affix their plates properly even when told to do so. A broken light - people fix. Cracked windshields and license plates they don't tend to deal with. So, very often a little incentive is necessary.

- Carl

qcxlvr1

Garconis said:
Alright, sweet, that's good news. How come he just didn't tell me to fix it then? He just gave me a ticket and told me what to do. On the NY DMV site it says 2 points for all other moving violations. Are you guys sure this isn't a moving violation? I'm just curious as to why he didn't tell me to just fix it...
Perhaps the officer needed some activity. Perhaps the municipality needs the money; who knows. What department was the guy from?

This isn't really classified as a moving violation, there are no points.

Garconis

qcxlvr1 said:
Perhaps the officer needed some activity. Perhaps the municipality needs the money; who knows. What department was the guy from?

This isn't really classified as a moving violation, there are no points.
State Trooper I believe. They were doing road checks (checking registration). I had a feeling something was going to be said about my license plate.

qcxlvr1

Garconis said:
State Trooper I believe. They were doing road checks (checking registration). I had a feeling something was going to be said about my license plate.
Well, they aren't known for giving out breaks to people. You can call the court on the face of the ticket to confirm there are no points associated, however, I know that there are not.

You Are Guilty

qcxlvr1 said:
Well, they aren't known for giving out breaks to people. You can call the court on the face of the ticket to confirm there are no points associated, however, I know that there are not.
Sniff, sniff... no one ever believes me :(

S

seniorjudge

CdwJava said:
Probably because most people choose NOT to affix their plates properly even when told to do so.
Probably because some senior moment judges have FORGOTTEN to affix their plates properly even when told to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">