• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Distinctive plate / speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcsports

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Driving in rural New york, i was pulled over by a state trooper for speeding. I'm a young driver, and he explained that I was being chared with a "No Distinctive Plate" as the license had one of the logo-ed brackets dealerships typically installed around the plate. On the Supporting Despostition under the additional info it states "The Vehicle was topped for traveling 55 in a 40 mph zone." Does the 'mean' / change anything on the charge?

Also, what is the typical fine for this?

Many thanks in advance

I_Got_Banned

"The Vehicle was topped for traveling 55 in a 40 mph zone." Does the 'mean' / change anything on the charge?
Well, it could also mean the "initially" he/she stoppoed you for speeding, noticed the plate violation and either cited you for both, or decided to give you a break by only citing you for the plate.

What VAT code(s) is/are listed on the citation?

I_Got_Banned

4021 - under "Section Sub Section"
Actually, it is Section 402, subsection 1... Or 402.1
§ 402. Distinctive number; form of number plates; trailers.
(a) No person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground; provided, however, that in any registration year for which only one number plate is issued, such number plate shall constitute a set of number plates for the time in which such use is authorized, shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its front, except in case of a tractor, when such number plate shall be displayed on the front of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its rear.
(b) Number plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic material, and shall not be knowingly covered or coated with any artificial or synthetic material or substance that conceals or obscures such number plates or that distorts a recorded or photographic image of such number plates, and the view of such number plates shall not be obstructed by any part of the vehicle or by anything carried thereon, except for a receiver-transmitter issued by a publicly owned tolling facility in connection with electronic toll collection when such receiver-transmitter is affixed to the exterior of a vehicle in
accordance with mounting instructions provided by the tolling facility.​
And since that is the only section listed on your citation, that is the only section you are being charged with. He must have given you a break on the "speeding part".

As for the fine amount, call the court.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The minimum fine is about $40 with a surcharge of $80.

If I was you I would just pay it. If you fight it in court the trooper can always issue the speeding ticket right there and screw you.

He gave you a huge break. Be grateful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">