• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Headlight Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wouldliketoknow

Should I fight a no headlight ticket in Los Angeles?The police officer pulled me over at 8:25pm. There is that 30 minutes after sunset rule and the sunset was 7:56pm. The officers were following me as they say and just issued me a ticket after time wasted. There were 3 officers. One must have been a trainee because he took forever and really did not give me why, warning whatsoever. He wrote the ticket up at 8:35pm. I even had a call to my cell at 8:28 pm in front of the officer while handing my DL and insurance card that I didn't take. They must have called the dispatch or whoever to let them know they were pulling me over so I must have a chance? I know he pulled me over around 8:25 or something.They have a log for those things right?
This is my first ticket in 1o years. I am so embarassed that a law abiding citizen did not get a chance or a warning.

I_Got_Banned

Should I fight a no headlight ticket in Los Angeles?The police officer pulled me over at 8:25pm. There is that 30 minutes after sunset rule and the sunset was 7:56pm. The officers were following me as they say and just issued me a ticket after time wasted. There were 3 officers. One must have been a trainee because he took forever and really did not give me why, warning whatsoever. He wrote the ticket up at 8:35pm. I even had a call to my cell at 8:28 pm in front of the officer while handing my DL and insurance card that I didn't take.
The actual vehicle code has a definition of what darkness means but it is not just limited to "a half hour after sunset"...

Here is what "Darkness" is defined as in the Califonria Vehicle Code:

CVC Section 280.
"Darkness" is any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise and any other time when visibility is not sufficient to render clearly discernible any person or vehicle on the highway at a distance of 1,000 feet.​

So even if you can prove that it was still within "a half hour after sunset" when you were pulled over, the citing officer can testify that visibility is not sufficient to render clearly discernible any person or vehicle on the highway at a distance of 1,000 feet.

And by the way, I don't see how your receving a phone call at whatever time proves anything...

They must have called the dispatch or whoever to let them know they were pulling me over so I must have a chance? I know he pulled me over around 8:25 or something.They have a log for those things right?
Sure they do... Although I am not so sure it would be that easy for yiou to get any of that information as part of the Informal Discovery Request used in traffic infractions...

This is my first ticket in 1o years. I am so embarassed that a law abiding citizen did not get a chance or a warning.
Don't be embara$$ed... Be proud, becau$e now you have joined the group of people who have contributed their $hare to what it mean$ to live in the $tate of California! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">