• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No-Operator License Ticket ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NABK

What is the name of your state? NC

I go this citation right outside the DMV in NC :(

My wife had to take the driver's test and I was driving her car. I had a VALID DL from my country ( we are non-US citizens). The cop stopped us initially for a missing sticker, which ofourse we had and he did not charge us with anything.
When asked for the license I showed him the Foreign license. Then , out of nowhere , I also showed him my PA license which expired 4 years ago . I was a student here in US 4 years ago and left the country in 2002. So there was no way I could get a US license after that.
My license formy home country worked well everytime I rented a car or drove around.
Anyway, the we still got a ticket. : Driving without a valid license.

My wife still works and drives here. So I would not like to get trouble for her or in my future visits.
We also tried to get another DL here in NC but they would only issue one for 3 months because of my visitor visa.

Shall we get a lawyer or just explain this in the court ?
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

seniorjudge

NABK said:
What is the name of your state? NC

I go this citation right outside the DMV in NC :(

My wife had to take the driver's test and I was driving her car. I had a VALID DL from my country ( we are non-US citizens). The cop stopped us initially for a missing sticker, which ofourse we had and he did not charge us with anything.
When asked for the license I showed him the Foreign license. Then , out of nowhere , I also showed him my PA license which expired 4 years ago . I was a student here in US 4 years ago and left the country in 2002. So there was no way I could get a US license after that.
My license formy home country worked well everytime I rented a car or drove around.
Anyway, the we still got a ticket. : Driving without a valid license.

My wife still works and drives here. So I would not like to get trouble for her or in my future visits.
We also tried to get another DL here in NC but they would only issue one for 3 months because of my visitor visa.

Shall we get a lawyer or just explain this in the court ?
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks
Q: Shall we get a lawyer or just explain this in the court ?

A: Explain what? You are supposed to have a valid operator's license and you did not. There is nothing to explain. You are guilty.

NABK

Well,

Isnt the driver's License I hold from my country VALID ?
How else can I get an American DL if I am no longer living here but just visit ?

:(

sukharev

Certain types of foreign DLs are required, not just any. Typically it's called "international". You can get it in many countries. They are good for 1 year after the last entry into US. Every state should recognize them. If you have one, go to court (forget your expired DL), show it and go on your merry way. It's also best to ask DMV if they know of particular statute that confirms validity of your international license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">