• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Operator Ticket with a Valid Out Of State DL??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tracerbullet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

We recently moved to NC and have not gotten our NC tags. My out of state tags expired over a year ago, but my Drivers Licence is still good for another 2 years.

We got pulled over and the officer issued two tickets:

Expired tags - GS 20-111
No NC Drivers Licence - GS 20-7

Since I had a valid out of state DL, can they issue me a ticket for this? I would pay it and just go on, but according to what I have read the second ticket is a moving violaiton and carries 3 points on my DL and 1 point on my insurance (25% cost increase).

So should I go to court and fight it or pay the fine ($240) and go on? If I contact a lawyer, the cost would be higher than $240 i assume.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

We recently moved to NC and have not gotten our NC tags. My out of state tags expired over a year ago, but my Drivers Licence is still good for another 2 years.

We got pulled over and the officer issued two tickets:

Expired tags - GS 20-111
No NC Drivers Licence - GS 20-7

Since I had a valid out of state DL, can they issue me a ticket for this? I would pay it and just go on, but according to what I have read the second ticket is a moving violaiton and carries 3 points on my DL and 1 point on my insurance (25% cost increase).

So should I go to court and fight it or pay the fine ($240) and go on? If I contact a lawyer, the cost would be higher than $240 i assume.
You don't have a valid out of state driver's license. It became invalid when you established residency in NC.

tracerbullet

Your Assumption

You assume I established residency.... I have 60 days, who says I've been here this long or this is my primary state.

The officer didn't ask.

I doubt a judge would go to the lengths to determine residency.

davew128

You assume I established residency.... I have 60 days, who says I've been here this long or this is my primary state.

The officer didn't ask.

You established residency when you started residing there. :rolleyes:

Have you been there less than 60 days or not? If the answer is no, then by all means feel free to perjure yourself in front of the judge and be prepared to face the consequences when he asks for something like a copy of a signed lease or HUD from a home purchase establishing when you moved there.

The officer didn't ask.

Well you implied it, as your post said your tags were 1 yr expired.

If you have not, then the license issue should be ruled in your favor. The registration issue would be governed by your resident state.

and be prepared to face the consequences when he asks for something like a copy of a signed lease or HUD from a home purchase establishing when you moved there.
I would recommend the OP not take the stand; and asking for documents? I take the 5th & even object to the inquiry - a judge cannot conduct discovery.

State has to prove their case -- OP does not have to make their case for them.

cyjeff

I would recommend the OP not take the stand; and asking for documents? I take the 5th & even object to the inquiry - a judge cannot conduct discovery.

State has to prove their case -- OP does not have to make their case for them.
Again, you are wrong.

What stand? This is a traffic citation. The judge will ask "when did you move to North Carolina?" The OP should not lie. The OP may not want to answer and doesn't have to.

However, failure to answer the question will answer the question.

And object to the inquiry? Are you drunk? The inquiry of "when did you move to North Carolina" is absolutely an appropriate question to ask when you have been charged with not renewing your license promptly as per state guidelines.

The OP could always lie to the court thereby swapping a traffic offense for a perjury charge. I recommend against that.

justalayman

The officer didn't ask.

so you are going to play stupid games?

Enjoy the ticket. I strongly suspect it was deserved.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
With a registration expired so long I would have impounded the car. OP is lucky that it didn't happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">