• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Passing Zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaime M

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, seeing this is the first Citation i've ever recieved i've don't have much experience with going to court.

Background:
Back in November I recieved a ticket for going through a "No Passing Zone." I was at a red light about 15 cars back and no one was in the left turn lane. So I drove through the center lane, which I thought was turning lane (outlined in yellow dotted lines). Turns out there was a cop right there to pull me over. I jumped into the left turn lane too early...

The moment he pulled me over I looked back and noticed I had in fact made a mistake. I was apologetic and understanding from the moment I said hello to the cop. So after writting the citation the officer said he could see it was a mistake and told me to take it to court and we would let me off.

The court date is tommorow March 26th, I went to the initial hearing and plead not guilty about a month ago.

My question:
I'm overall unsure of the Court procedure. If all goes smoothly, the cop won't show up, but will I still have to say anything or stand infront of the magistrate? What if the cop does show? Is it alright to bring up what he said? "I can see it was a mistake. Take the citation to court and i'll let you off." I'm a broke college student and I really can't afford to pay for this citation.

All suggestions will be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance

racer72

The court date is tommorow March 26th
Uh, tomorrow is March 28th, yesterday was the 26th. You may be a few days late.

I'm overall unsure of the Court procedure.
If your lucky, the DA will talk to you before the court session and offer you a plea bargain, such as pleading guilty to a non moving violation. Generally you will still have to pay the amount of the original fine.

If all goes smoothly, the cop won't show up, but will I still have to say anything or stand infront of the magistrate?
You sure will. If the cop does not show up, you will have to ask that the ticket be dismissed. If the cop does show up, you will have a few minutes to make your case. Hopefully you will get to watch a few other first so you have an idea what to say.

Is it alright to bring up what he said? "I can see it was a mistake. Take the citation to court and i'll let you off.
You can try. Hard to say if it will sway the judge.

I'm a broke college student and I really can't afford to pay for this citation.
If you can't pay the citation, you can't afford to drive a car. The court will likely help you set up a payment plan, you won't have to pay the full amount of the fine at one time.

Jaime M

March 28th

Woops typed the wrong date, the hearing is tommorow (March 28th). Thanks for the quick response guys!!!

Well, I suppose I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the cop doesn't show up. If he does, and lets say he doesn't remember he said he would let me off, and I state my case what is the worse that can happen? I'll have to pay for the citation and recieve points on my license? And probably have to pay for some kind of court fee? Eitherway, i'm going to practice exactly what i'm going to say just in case. The markings on that left turn lane are pretty bad, i'll try to take some photos. To your knowledge, are judges sometimes swayed by the deeply sorry, never recieved a citation, struggling college student plea? Yes, i can afford to pay the $130 citation but it means tight living and eating for a month.

Again, thanks for the quick responses

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">