• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No proof of insurance, speeding...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello. I have a slight problem that I know I caused. I recieved a ticket for speeding, which I was doing, and have no problem with, also for no proof of insurance. The vehicle is my mom's which was insured, just not in the vehicle. I was told that I could just go and show proof, pay a fine, and be done with it. However, shortly after the ticket my brother in North Carolina got into a car accident and needed to be cared for, so I went. I just recently got home and there was a notice of a judgement for both the speeding and the insurance in my mail. I'm wondering, what are my options, and what's the best plan? Obviously I'll pay the speeding, however, the insurance thing is gonna cost me because of the driver responsibility money. Any good ideas?

Thanks

OP85063

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello. I have a slight problem that I know I caused. I recieved a ticket for speeding, which I was doing, and have no problem with, also for no proof of insurance. The vehicle is my mom's which was insured, just not in the vehicle. I was told that I could just go and show proof, pay a fine, and be done with it. However, shortly after the ticket my brother in North Carolina got into a car accident and needed to be cared for, so I went. I just recently got home and there was a notice of a judgement for both the speeding and the insurance in my mail. I'm wondering, what are my options, and what's the best plan? Obviously I'll pay the speeding, however, the insurance thing is gonna cost me because of the driver responsibility money. Any good ideas?

Thanks
How long were you gone for? If you know you had two tickets and they have to be taken care of, you chose to ignore them. I do believe if you do not answer the ticket in certain amount of days, you'll be defaulted in a guilty judgment. What is most likely happen, because you did not appear in court.

Now the speeding ticket you have no pay no question, the proof of insurance, you may have to pay if it's already in judgment, but I'm sure someone here know more than I do, can advised you how to appeal that and provide the proof of insurance at the time and have that one drop, I'll say it's a 50/50 chance, but not sure.

Good Luck

I was gone from like a week after the ticket, till just this Sunday. I did call while in NC and they told me that they needed an original with a start date for the insurance. I had to show it in person. However, I was in NC. I didn't chose to ignore them, I had no choice. I had to take care of my brother. I couldn't just drive/fly up here for one day...That wouldn't make too much sense, or even be possible. I have to talk to the Magistrate tomorrow. I'm not sure what they will want to do, but I need to know if I should even bother, cuz now it's going to cost even more time off work, etc.

Thanks

HomeGuru

I was gone from like a week after the ticket, till just this Sunday. I did call while in NC and they told me that they needed an original with a start date for the insurance. I had to show it in person. However, I was in NC. I didn't chose to ignore them, I had no choice. I had to take care of my brother. I couldn't just drive/fly up here for one day...That wouldn't make too much sense, or even be possible. I have to talk to the Magistrate tomorrow. I'm not sure what they will want to do, but I need to know if I should even bother, cuz now it's going to cost even more time off work, etc.

Thanks
**A: you should have gone to court first to tell them you have an emergency and provided written information to that effect along with your insurance evidence.

I left in an emergency, there was no time to go to court. I left the saturday night I found out. That's why I called. They initially told me they would accept a fax of the proof. Then after faxing it they told me that was inadequate. I needed the original. Now, according to the office, they do infact accept faxes, and should've the first time. I just feel like I was ran around. I know at one point the office had it, because she read my policy number back to me on the phone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">