• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no radar

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

busted5

just yesterday i was pulled over in jefferson county, wi. after the officer wrote up my citation i politely asked him if i could see the radar gun reading to make sure that he actually did have one. the officer told me that he doesn't save them and that he isn't required to. is it true that he is not required to have this available for me and if he is supposed to have it available will i be free of my ticket and/or is it possible for me to press charges for something such as obstruction of justice.

racer72

The officer does not have to show you the radar gun nor any information about it at the time of the stop. If you wish to contest the ticket, you will have to ask for a supeona to view the radar gun documents. I would advise you contact an attorney for help in this matter. My question to you is, why would the officer perform the traffic stop in a manner that would allow the citation to be easily dismissed or better yet, have a lawsuit filed against him?

B

busted5

Im just trying to make sure i'm going about this in the right manner and making sure i understand everything correctly. On one of the pages in this site it states"You have a right to see the gun and to see the basis for which the cop is stopping you". Do i only have the right to see this after i decide to contest or does this not apply for some reason?

J

justathought

I know they don't have to show it to you...

But whoever maintains the Freeadvice homepage should look under traffic law and whether or not the radar gun needs to be shown and update or clarify as necessary.

The poster's second post is directly quoted from Freeadvice's traffic law section.

Go figure?

B

busted5

contesting

Thank u everyone for your help. I am planning on contesting this ticket and any advice as to how i could effectively do this would be appreciated. Here is the full situation. I was driving down Hwy D in Jefferson County and a car was coming the other direction. as i passed by this car which seemed to be flying by, i saw a set of lights turn on just ahead on the side of the road. I instinctively slowed, even though i believe i was going at most 5 over. The cop car turned pulled out turned around, followed me from a great distance for about a quarter mile and then pulled me over. He promptly walked up to my car, and said he pulled me over for speeding, he asked me if i was watching my speedometer and i said that i was paying more attention to the road but that i didnt feel i was speeding. He said he was going to have to give me a citation, still not telling me how fast i was going. He returned a few minutes later with the ticket and told me i was going "69...or 70...or 72 or something". puzzeled by his supposed lack of confidence in his answer i asked if i could possibly see the radar gun. he immediately looked shocked, paused for a second and then said that he wasn't required to have the reading and he usually doesnt save them. he handed me my citation and told me to drive slower and safely and i headed on my way. Once again any advice is greatly appreciated.

C

Cal25

Because you're going to contest the ticket anyway, file a motion for discovery to check the documents of the officer's radar gun. If the radar gun in any way lacks the proper documents e.g. date calibrated, etc. then your case could be dismissed.

B

busted5

court supervision?

ok, i've been talking to some people and one of my friends from illinois said something about "court supervision" where you pay extra to stop your ticket from hurting your insurance. I also saw this in another post on this site. Is this available in Wisconsin and if so how would i apply for it and what are my chances of getting it.

V

Vincent Cosent

Court supervision in Ill.

They advise you in court.And be advised that when you accept it you must stay clean for a certain period of time also.
Check search on your computer and type Secretary Of State and check for Wisconsin see if that helps.

L

lauracam

Driving School

Insurance companies buy information off your local DMV about you. That's how your insurance goes up. If you go to the school, the DMV doesn't sell your driving information.

Driving School may cost much more, or considerably less, depending on your ticket. If it's regular driving school it'll probably take you a couple of hours to complete.

You sit in a room with a bunch of other people, and watch a series of videos, similar to traffic shows you may have seen in high school. I have been driving 8 years, and have been to driving school 3 times, and all for tickets going 5 - 8 miles over the limit.

Depending on your state, you can go every year to every couple of years. It's worth pursuing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">