• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Record of Citation - CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrbystander

The name of my state is California,

Hello, I was issued a ticket by the CHP and I called the number that the officer had written down on the ticket and they said they had no record of the citation. Should I call the CHP next and ask them if they have a record of it? How long do they have by law to get it into the system before it voids? Also is it legal to write in the Date and Time to appear section of the ticket to instead of writing a date and time he wrote WITHIN 60 DAYS across those lines?

Thank you in advance for your advice,

-Eric

CdwJava

mrbystander said:
The name of my state is California,

Hello, I was issued a ticket by the CHP and I called the number that the officer had written down on the ticket and they said they had no record of the citation. Should I call the CHP next and ask them if they have a record of it? How long do they have by law to get it into the system before it voids? Also is it legal to write in the Date and Time to appear section of the ticket to instead of writing a date and time he wrote WITHIN 60 DAYS across those lines?

Thank you in advance for your advice,

-Eric
This is done in many counties for juveniles. If you are a juvenile, you will be notified by the Juvenile probation Department in your county. It may be that the county where you live issued the court dates by mail for some odd reason. Such a system would make it impossible to hold someone accountable for failing to appear in court.

As for a record of the citation, it may take as long as two weeks before the court gets a copy of the citation. And, they have one year to commence prosecution for the citation - be it a misdemeanor or an infraction.

You may consider contacting the CHP office and making inquiry there about the court date.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">