• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No time to slow down.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SafeDriver

What is the name of your state? New Jersey (OK, you can stop laughing now.)

About 2 weeks ago I was driving on a 2 lane (in each direction) state roadway posted at 50 mph. I went over a short bridge that has roadway inclines on each side and then entered a turn-around from the left lane in order to head back on the same roadway. As soon as I had started going back towards the bridge, I was pulled over and told I was speeding -- the officer said I did 61 in a 40 mph zone. I was quite surprised as I could not imagine going that fast in a 40 zone (and I have good reason to believe I was doing less than 55). I asked where I did such a thing -- he said right as I came off the bridge. Anyway, to make this brief, I went back and re-traced the path I just took to be sure. The speed limit across the bridge was not 40, but actually 50. What I did find interesting is that the speed limit going in the other direction is 40 -- on the opposite side from where it is still 50. On my side, the side where the officer said I broke the law, the speed limit changes after the bridge (and on a decline) -- so coming off the bridge is still 50. By then I knew I had to be slowing down because I was quickly coming up on my turn -- there was no way I could make it even doing 40.

I already spoke with an attorney who noticed that there is no indication of Radar being used; he suspects I was clocked by the officer pacing me. But since the officer's jurisdiction started at the bridge, he would have had to accelerate his vehicle to 50mph in less than 100 ft, not to mention any distance in order to then maintain a speed equal to mine. By then, we would have both been well past the point he claims he nabbed me. The roadway leading up to the birdge is an incline and curved; after, it's a decline and curved.

So my questions are ... 1) What is the requirement needed in order for an officer to properly pace another vehicle. What is the minimum distance he must cover and what (if any) road conditions must there be?

2) What is the allowed distance one is given when a speed limit changes in order to safely slow one's vehicle? (If the answer is 0 feet, then there is clearly little logic in traffic law.)

Oh yes, I did say earlier that I belived to be going at most just under 55 -- how do I know? Because just before coming up on the bridge I passed a motorist going quite slowly in the right lane. I thought to myself, "Am I going that fast?" I glanced down at my speedometer and saw the dial between 50 and 55. If the officer did pace me, I believe he had no adequate distance and/or time to do it effectively -- and he wrote down his best guess (61). I also belive he did not know that the speed limit on my side was 50 because as one looks at the bridge from his jurisdiction's side it is posted as 40.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">