• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No turn signal in a turning lane

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doughboy0311

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I just got a ticket for not using a turning signal to make a turn when in a lane where the you have to turn. Isn't it a bit redundant to signal that you are turning when there is no other option? If I didn't turn I would have run into the median. What are my chances of trying to fight this? I have to try, I'm a broke college student.

FlyingRon

It may seem redundant, but it is required that you do so. Oncoming traffic can't always tell what the lane restrictions are.

You're guilty, but you could go to court and try for the sympathy of the judge.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no oncoming traffic. Its a median.
Ok, let's make it simple...

It may seem redundant, but it is required that you do so.

You're guilty, but you could go to court and try for the sympathy of the judge.

(Thanks Ron)

I_Got_Banned

What statute were you cited for?

Was it LRS 32:104?

If that is the case, then here you go:

Louisiana Revised Statute •Title 32. Motor vehicles and traffic regulation
§104. Turning movements and required signals
A. No person shall turn a vehicle at an intersection unless the vehicle is in proper position upon the roadway as required in R.S. 32:101, or turn a vehicle to enter a private road or driveway, or otherwise turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway unless and until such a movement can be made with reasonable safety.

B. Whenever a person intends to make a right or left turn which will take his vehicle from the highway it is then traveling, he shall give a signal of such intention in the manner described hereafter and such signal shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred (100) feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.

C. No person shall stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided herein to the driver of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give such signal.

D. The signals provided for in R.S. 32:105(B) shall be used to indicate an intention to turn, change lanes or start from a parked position and shall not be flashed on one side only on a parked or disabled vehicle, or flashed as a courtesy or "do pass" signal to operators of other vehicles approaching from the rear.​
Acts 1962, No. 310, §1. Amended by Acts 1963, No. 33, §2; Acts 1970, No. 538, §1.​

Notice it does not mention any exception to the rule of you having to signal if you were in a turning lane. So basically, your only defense here is if you were able to refute the officer's testimony that you did signal before you turned. Also keep in mind that by you arguing that you were in a turning lane and therefore (according to your logic) you did not feel the need to signal, you are indirectly admitting guilt. So the defense that your using will end up getting you the same guilty plea you were trying to avoid.

Even if you were cited for a local/Municipal Statute, it will most likely have similar language that requires you to signal before turning regardless of whether you are in a turning lane or not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks guys. This is really just a ridiculous unnecessary technicality. I'm screwed.
It's actually a very basic and well known law that you (should have) learned when you were learning to drive. The person to take it up with is whomever neglected to teach this to you.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Thanks guys. This is really just a ridiculous unnecessary technicality. I'm screwed.
Well I am guessing that you probably think it's unnecessary to signal if no other cars are on the road as well.

Bottom line is that all turns and lane changes must be signalled without qualification. If you condition yourself to that then you won't have any problem. It'll only take a couple of days of forcing yourself to signal and it will become second nature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">