+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Nolo?

  1. #1
    GaGirl583 Guest

    Nolo?

    My fiance got a speeding ticket and he was doing 32 over and he was 20 at the time. The officer said he was going 87, but his car registered about 70-72 (he has a 4x4 with bigger tires.) Friends have told him to plead nolo. Neither one of us has ever heard of it before, and we would like to know what it is, and what do you think that is going to happen to him (suspended license, how much of a fine, etc.) Thank you!
  2. #2
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    38,165

    Re: Nolo?

    Originally posted by GaGirl583
    My fiance got a speeding ticket and he was doing 32 over and he was 20 at the time. The officer said he was going 87, but his car registered about 70-72 (he has a 4x4 with bigger tires.) Friends have told him to plead nolo. Neither one of us has ever heard of it before, and we would like to know what it is, and what do you think that is going to happen to him (suspended license, how much of a fine, etc.) Thank you!


    My response:

    A plea of nolo contendere (or "no contest") to a crime punishable as a felony has the same legal effect as a plea of guilty (admissible in a civil action against the defendant pleader but is not conclusive). On the other hand, a nolo contendere plea in nonfelony criminal actions may not be used against the defendant as an admission in any civil suit based on the same act.

    So, unless there was another vehicle affected by your fiance's speeding, it wouldn't matter if he merely pleaded "guilty."

    Driving on a suspended license is going to get him a few days in jail or extended community service (picking up trash along the highways), along with a hefty fine. It's up to the judge to set the amount of time, and the amount of the fine.

    To say that your fiance was exceedingly "dumb" is probably an understatement. While on a "suspended license", he was doing everything to "attract attention" to himself - - speeding, driving a four-wheeler with big tires, etc.

    Why didn't he just wave a flag saying, "Hey everybody - - I'm driving on a suspended license!" He may as well have.

    Ah, youth. They think they're invincible!

    IAAL
    Last edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE; 06-04-2003 at 09:43 AM.
  3. #3
    GaGirl583 Guest
    My fiance does not have a suspended license right now, thank you very much. And I don't appreciate you being an absolute jerk for no apparent reason. The thing was, yes he admitted to speeding, 15 miles an hour over, and all I was asking was what to expect in court and exactly what nolo was. I didn't need your opinion on the crumbling youth of the nation. He has never been to court or had a traffic violation, so we were totally clueless and I thought that I could get a little advice. Thanks for nothing.
  4. #4
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    38,165
    Originally posted by GaGirl583
    My fiance does not have a suspended license right now, thank you very much. And I don't appreciate you being an absolute jerk for no apparent reason. The thing was, yes he admitted to speeding, 15 miles an hour over, and all I was asking was what to expect in court and exactly what nolo was. I didn't need your opinion on the crumbling youth of the nation. He has never been to court or had a traffic violation, so we were totally clueless and I thought that I could get a little advice. Thanks for nothing.

    My response:

    You know, I really don't care what you "appreciate". It doesn't matter that he "doesn't have a suspended license right now" - - since when does that matter? The fact is, he had a suspended license when he was caught speeding.

    I told you what "Nolo Contendere" meant, and you'd think you'd have enough good grace to say "thank you". Obviously, you live in a trailer - - and you're still "clueless."

    Do they raise pigs in Georgia?

    IAAL
  5. #5
    GaGirl583 Guest
    How completely rude. He did not have a suspended at the time that he was pulled over. And I do thank you for telling me what nolo means. But you must have not paid too close of attention when I said that I was wondering if his license was going to get suspended, not that it was suspended when he got pulled over. I guess lawyers aren't that smart as we all thought they were. I thought that you were supposed to pay attention to the details. And since when does my getting irritated at you being so rude make me a pig?
  6. #6
    GaGirl583 Guest
    And I do not live in a trailer. That is very petty of someone to assume that about me just because I live in Georgia. I am a law abiding citizen that was unsure of certain laws and thought that this website might prepare him for when he goes to court. Like I said, we just wanted to know what to expect.
  7. #7
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    38,165
    Originally posted by GaGirl583
    How completely rude. He did not have a suspended at the time that he was pulled over. And I do thank you for telling me what nolo means. But you must have not paid too close of attention when I said that I was wondering if his license was going to get suspended, not that it was suspended when he got pulled over. I guess lawyers aren't that smart as we all thought they were. I thought that you were supposed to pay attention to the details. And since when does my getting irritated at you being so rude make me a pig?

    My response:

    You're correct. I reread your original post and, it appears, you were using "suspended license" as an example of his potential punishment. Hey, mistakes happen.

    But, my response stands nonetheless. The judge can suspend his license, order a hefty fine, and / or community service. If the fine cannot be paid, the judge can also order jail time of a few days.

    Yes, we are "smart" - - but, your boyfriend has got to be smart too, and stop drawing attention to himself - - especially by the cops.

    IAAL
  8. #8
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Catatonic State
    Posts
    81,916

    Re: Nolo?

    Originally posted by GaGirl583
    My fiance got a speeding ticket and he was doing 32 over and he was 20 at the time. The officer said he was going 87, but his car registered about 70-72 (he has a 4x4 with bigger tires.) Friends have told him to plead nolo. Neither one of us has ever heard of it before, and we would like to know what it is, and what do you think that is going to happen to him (suspended license, how much of a fine, etc.) Thank you!
    **A: 32 mph + over the posted speed limit? He can plead insanity and it still wouldn't help.
  9. #9
    lwpat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2,607
    I am assuming that he lives and got the ticket in Georgia. Please look at the ticket and post exactly what is the charge and the code section of the violation. What is the court date?

Similar Threads

  1. Nolo?
    By imo76 in forum Legal Ethics & Lawyer Malpractice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 11:06 PM
  2. Nolo in N.H.
    By pps in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 05:03 PM
  3. what will a nolo plea do for me?
    By gadui in forum Drunk Driving / DUI / DWI
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 01:02 PM
  4. Plea of NOLO
    By kt4vq in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2002, 10:30 AM
  5. Nolo Contendere
    By rdash in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2001, 11:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.