• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

North Carolina Hearing Procedures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina (I am from PA)

My daughter, a student in North Carolina, recently totaled her car (actually my 2003 Impala LS). She swerved to miss a deer that was in her lane and unfortunately managed to go into a deep ditch on the other side of the road. There was no other traffic at the time.

The officer came along and wrote her a ticket for 20-148 and said it was for driving on the wrong side of the road.

§ 20‑148. Meeting of vehicles.
Drivers of vehicles proceeding in opposite directions shall pass each other to the right, each giving to the other at least one half of the main‑traveled portion of the roadway as nearly as possible.
We plan to fight this ticket using the following (a)(2):

§ 20‑146. Drive on right side of highway; exceptions.
(a) Upon all highways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the highway except as follows:
(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
(2) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right‑of‑way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
I am interested in any insight as to what to expect at a hearing for this type of an event in North Carolina (actually in Siler City). Any help would be appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">